NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think that would be a good idea Crash... clouds have just rolled in, complete cover again and Sammy is right there is now more snow forecast from 6pm onwards! Damn you british weather! :mad:

On a positive note I have managed to secure 60 mins viewing on the Faulkes telescope with my school account, last time it clouded over and I lost my slot! Anybody have any suggestions what I might consider viewing? :tongue:

Not sure it will be very clear tonight down this way, BBC weather report is only giving an hour at 8ish! rest of the evening will be partly cloudy which could mean absolutely anything! Sutton Bank looking like a great night! Fancy a drive up but dont think I could make it tonight, might try to persuade wife to get a passout but not hopeful :huh:

good luck if you get up there!

Forcast for thirsk and sutton bank are clear skies between 6pm and midnight.im in sherburn at the moment and its well windy but the visitors centre car park at sutton has some nice sheltered areas and is surrounded by trees so even though you dont get the horizons you dont get blown over.the trees should fully shield the moon until about 11pm+.should be there no later than 7pm

arrived just before 7pm to really dark clear skies but quite windy even in the sheltered part but by 8:30 the skiy was already getting lighter due to the iminnent moon rise so didnt get much done asside from m76 which didnt show much detail but spotted a few new clusters.leo was a washout so didnt manage my last leo galaxy.damn i hate the moon!!!!!

Just got home myself. Nice one for coming out, it's good to see someone making an effort to drive to dark places. The open clusters were pretty spectacular - I will try to find out more about my 'mysterious' non-catalogue object, haha :)

Is that the same as the herschel V number i said?

Yeah always nice to meet up with people and especially to compare scopes as atleast i know my mirror is no worse than before i wasted the £250 with orion optics but no better asside from a little improved contrast which is probably the light shroud and flocking

Yes Rich, it must be the same thing,google says H VI.17, you can check it with your atlas.

Sammy+Soupy: Yes, we did, haha. Good 3 hours of gazing, makes me hungry for even darker skies - I can see the potential :)

Archived