NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Guildford area UK!

kingboya

Hi

I have been interested in astronomy for many years, and recently bought a pair of binoculars so that I could get used to the sky again, but quickly found that it was a telescope I craved!:D

I have literally just ordered an 8" Skyliner 200P with a 9x50 90deg viewfinder, cheshire collimating eyepice, and will in due course probably get either a telrad or a rigel quickfinder. Which is the better 'bang for buck'?

I will stick with the stock lenses for a while, but thought that a Barlow would probably be a good idea at some stage, again any ideas?

I ordered the gear before the BBC sky watch series kicks off, otherwise stock would be gone in no time!

I can't wait to get viewing soon. This scope gets a very good review and following and i think/hope I have made a good decision!

Great community here too! I can't wait to get stuck in!:icon_scratch:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, and welcome

You should come along to the Guildford AS Stargazing Live event at Newlands Corner on 21st Jan. There will be plenty of scopes there and people to talk to for advice

Cheers

Stu

Hi, and welcome

You should come along to the Guildford AS Stargazing Live event at Newlands Corner on 21st Jan. There will be plenty of scopes there and people to talk to for advice

Cheers

Stu

Hi

I am definitely coming along on the 21st to Newlands Corner. Hopefully there will be clear skies!:icon_scratch:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a Telrad and find it invaluable on my scope.

Great piece of kit.

May try and get to Newlands corner myself for a quick look. Won't be with a scope though.

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I too have the 200p skyliner and it's an excellent place to start. My first object was the Orion Nebula and I havent been able to stop going back since - glad to see Orion back :icon_scratch:)

On the finder scope front, I think that the one provided is more than adequate and I can find most objects without issue. I'd suggest you have a go and make your own judgement!

Hello KingBoya and welcome to SGL!

I second the recommendation to pop along to Newlands corner but also if you're available on Saturday 21st January 2012 and can get to Albury Cricket Club from 6:30pm - there's a BBC Stargazing LIVE event there, free of charge and managed by Astronomy4Everyone. It should be really good, but myself I'll be at Queen Elizabeth Country Park a day earlier on the 20th:

Astronomy 4 Everyone : GroupSpaces

All weather dependent, of course :-)

Hello and welcome,

My 200p was delivered yesterday and I am currently in and out of the garden playing!!

Jupiter looks fantastic (plus its big and easy to find!!) with its moons drifting across the eye piece.

I am using a Barlow x2 and the supplied Super 25, it`s a joy, looking forward to locating more.

Clear skies :icon_scratch:

Archived