Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS crossing the Moon

carldr

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great image Carl. I've captured the ISS crossing the sun several times and have been hoping to image a lunar transit sometime, but, as you say, the phase and location have to be right and so far I haven't been lucky.

One thing that helps with a lunar transit is that you can at least see the ISS coming!

Well done!

As always, thanks for the replies!

Great image Carl. I've captured the ISS crossing the sun several times and have been hoping to image a lunar transit sometime, but, as you say, the phase and location have to be right and so far I haven't been lucky.

One thing that helps with a lunar transit is that you can at least see the ISS coming!

Well done!

I didn't know it, but I've seen your blog a few times, presumably from when I was looking at doing a solar transit - The pictures were a great inspiration.

Funnily enough, I couldn't see the ISS coming, it wasn't big and bright as it can be. It was in the Earth's shadow the whole time. I don't doubt if you did look carefully for it, you'd be able to see it, but of course, I was counting down using the clock on my laptop for fear of missing it!

You should put the two images together and print them off professionally and frame it. I would buy one! :)

Funny you should say that - I've already done that with the solar transit, and just this minute ordered one for the lunar transit. See attached for the framed image.

If you're serious about buying a print of both transits, I am sure we could work something out. Drop me a PM if you are!

Regards,

Carl.

post-21491-133877703918_thumb.jpg

I thought some of you would like to see direct evidence of the difference Registax made to the image. Attached is a cropped screenshot of Registax in action.

The top half shows its progress applying the wavelets, and the bottom half, just the result of stacking the images.

On reflection, I doubt that stacking 99 images really made any difference to the result as the exposure time was very short, the was very little noise, and the moon was very high in the sky so seeing would have been pretty good anyway.

But, if nothing else, I hope it shows that Registax is magic. I don't really understand how wavelets are or how they work, and I don't think I'd given them enough time on my images of the planets and consequently I hadn't given them the time they probably need to get the best results. I consider it a bit of fluke that I've got the result I have from them.

Anyway, we're probably getting a little off-topic here, but I hope it interests some of you.

post-21491-133877703927_thumb.jpg

Archived