NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A NIGHT I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER

robbie c

I had in amazing night last night I got the chance to go and visit Sir Patrick Moore at his home down in Selsey with my local Astronomy club just sitting in sir Patrick's study and listening to some of his story's was so fascinating, he told us some of the things that went on in the early years of The Sky at night and when he was involved in the apollo moon landings, we also got to look inside his main observatory and do some viewing through his 16" Fuller telescope it was just amazing and the sky's seemed to just clear for us when we started viewing I think the sight of Jupiter in all its glory was the icing on the cake for me, when we went back inside we were treated to some sandwich's, crisps, tea coffee or wine before Sir Patrick told us some more story's sadly the time seemed to just fly by and as the night was drawing to an end we each had a photo taken with Sir Patrick before saying goodbye to him a true gentleman who I imagine got many of us interested in astronomy its a night I wont forget and it was an honour to meet him

Robbie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was another of the ones privileged to visit Patrick on Friday. It was a lovely evening and as Robbie says, Patrick was full of stories about his long and eventful life - even though, sadly, he is now frail and housebound, not the dynamo he used to be!

Gloriously, the cloud cover rolled back just as we arrived at Selsey, after threatening to spoil the evening as we were setting out from Brighton. Maybe there's some magical 'genie' that watches over Selsey and keeps the clouds at bay! Anyway, the seeing in Patrick's back garden was perfect and, as Robbie says, views through the Fullerscope of Jupiter were splendid with plenty of detail to be seen in the GRS. And the reflection nebulosity around M45 was clear enough visually - something I never believed was possible until I saw it with my own eyes - albeit with averted vision!

Whilst waiting our turn outside of the dome, we were scanning the skies with ordinary 10x50 bins, and I am proud to say that M33 - always a bit hit-or-miss target in bins from UK - was showing up there clear as a bell - several of our group spotted it.

Patrick has a splendid spot for observing right at the back of his house, and the house itself is a real treasure to visit - crammed so full of mementos!

Certainly an unforgettable evening.

As somebody who grew up in Selsey Bill I can tell you for sure

Maybe there's some magical 'genie' that watches over Selsey and keeps the clouds at bay!
IS NOT THE CASE! in fact in my time there had be a hurricane and 2 tornadoes... Obviously as a local celebrity Sir Patrick's reputation precedes him.

Glad you guys had a good night, am fortunate myself to have met him a few times though I was not really as into astronomy then as I am now so didn't really take advantage of those opportunities!

You really have to admire/respect SPM's stamina. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in the presence of the great man himself.

I love hearing peoples stories of him.

I'm told, he really enjoys having (small!) groups of visitors - perhaps it compensates for the fact that he's no longer able to get out and view for himself. But there's a waiting list! I reckon most of the astro soc.'s around SE England are able to arrange visits for members, at intervals.

He's never alone: there's a regular team of helpers and carers in his house, I think some of them are resident. And of course the BBC still come down in strength once a month to do the S@N recording.

Yes you have to admire his stamina. But one mustn't overdo it: you will probably notice that his own personal appearances on S@N are now fairly brief - he quickly hands over to one of his co-presenters to do the main meaty bits of the programme.

While we were there he stuck it out with us for fully half an hour, answering questions - but then it was evident that he was tiring, so it was tactfully hinted that we should all troop out and leave him to have a little doze (luckily, the 'scope was ready for us in the garden) - and after that we had the buffet in his dining room (which is where some S@N takes are filmed, I believe). But later in the evening he was fully awake again and quite ready for the photos.

We were there from 7:30 pm to about 10:30, which is a pretty long session, all things considered!

Nice story Pete. I just think its brilliant how at his age and health that he still manages to work (even as little as he may do these day.........it still must take the wind out of his sail) and entertain guests in his home.

I cant help but think he gets a real kick out of people telling him their own stories and how he impacted on their lives etc.

If he isnt already listed on the English Heritage as a national treasure, he should be.

P.S.~~~is it true that he quite dislikes being called Sir (as in his knighthood title)?

So happy for you to have met Sir Patrick and incredibly envious!

I am indeed one of the many who were inspired by him to learn about the night sky as opposed to just looking at it, though that is still an amazing thing.

A truly great man who bought astronomy to the masses really. Without him and the Sky At Night the general public would probably not have known half of what we do about what's out there. I still have somewhere a video clip of him playing the xylophone back in the 60's, at which he was also amazing!

Thank you for sharing with us.

Archived