SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Buying from America

Has anyone out there bought any kit from America on the net, posted to here? Looking at the sites, eyepiece kits are up to £100 cheaper for Meade 4000. Be intrested in hearing your thoughts or experiences.

Cheers,

Sully

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on whether you get stung on customs charges. I've always factored in the customs charges and assumed I will get hit with them. If it still works out cheaper with customs charges then I will order and if I'm lucky maybe get away without getting hit for the extra charge

I've heard it depends on the postal service used as to whether you get stung. Seems more like pot luck to me

Jake

Sully,

We in Ireland generally have to import gear either from the UK, Germany or UK. So we always have to pay carriage where you lads generally don't I imagine. Secondly we have the €/£ problem too. As a consequence, I've been buying most of my kit from the US. Its usually less expensive, even taking the VAT into account, which should be payable. Thankfully, customs have never stopped mine, so they're even better value for money!

Even got good value for money recently from Teleskop Service in Germany with an excellent deal on delivery.

My view is probably different from your compatriots, but the US wins for me most times.

Of course, you need to know what you want. You lads have the luxury of being able to go to a shop and discuss stuff with someone who knows.

Good luck.

Bart

Edit - should ahve read UK, Germany or US, wasn't emphasizing the UK...

If they are prepared to use the US post office then postage will be much cheaper than UPS and the like, all depends on weight and freindlyness... VAT will need to be paid and a custom charge when you collect your parcel. Ive done it many times.

Andy

I have brought power drills ect from the states, I found then (5 years back) if Federal Express delivered they out sourced to a courier company and on 4 purchases only 1 customs hit, the other lot UPS, carry hand computers and you have to pay on the doorstep, so just ask for Federal Express as the Courier it still might work.

I (live in Ireland) have bought a few bits from the States and have saved a fair few squids by doing so. Even with shipping included i have saved more then i would have if i bought from the UK.

I bought when the Dollar/Euro was in my favour.

Example: i bought online a secondary battery for my Cannon 450D from the states.

Including shipping i paid about 20 euro. If i went into Dublin (10 miles drive) to buy it, it would have cost me about 40.

Also i have bought a Universal Digital Camera Adapter from the States (and all inclusive) it was about 30 euro. Local shops hewre sell them for about 50.

Last week i bought a 2X barlow from the UK. The price was £26.99......................shipping was £10 EXTRA. That annoyed me to no end. I have posted EP's to the UK and postage only cost me £5.00

I've bought a couple of things direct and with duty, postals surcharges on this side of the pond it has always been a little cheaper than buying here but not much.

The only draw back is the postage hassle. If you get a good courier then fine, my last one took 2 days to get from the states to heathrow customs, a day to get through customs then 2 weeks of constant chasing by me with the courier (parcel farce) to find they had lost it, after alot of pushing and phone calls, emails I eventually got it. Couriers must hate customers being able to track parcels online:)

So when I think about buying direct now, I work out what savings I can make then weigh these against the potential hassle.

Philj

Echo most comments above, however depends on which category your item falls into as it could attract a tax on the product so it works like this

Customs allowance from the us £40 under - no tax etc if its a gift.

Cost for collection and payment of taxes on your behalf £12.

Table below

Commercial consignments of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £15, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters.

If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.

Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

In summary:

Goods Value*

Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15

• No customs duty
  • No Import VAT

£15.01 to £135

• No customs duty
  • Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater

• Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
  • Import VAT due

*excludes the following goods: alcohol; tobacco products; perfumes and toilet waters. These items do not benefit from the relief of customs duty or VAT at import, and alcohol and tobacco products will also be liable to excise duty.

I've had plenty of stuff from the U.S and never had a problem.

I've used couriers and USPS and they are much the same with the charges, although with the USPS your package is held by your area Royal Mail sorting office while a letter with the charges is sent to you. Once you pay the charges, which can be done online, the package is normally delivered the following day.

On average it takes 10 days for the package to be delivered from the U.S and I have save hundreds of £££'s, although most has been on weather sensors and not astro related. ;)

One other thing to factor-in is warranty, if anything goes wrong then you may have to send it back to the U.S for warranty work as UK importers/sellers may not touch your import version. :)

hi there , i have buying stuff from the usa for some years now , i love my american autos so most of my spare parts come from texas , most items will ship in 7-10 days , the only thing to watch out for is import tax to the uk , in my experiance you dont always get charged , i take it some things go through the channels with out being charged , others dont ,just your luck really .

i have never had any problems or missing items , from a red dot finder to a 20ft long dodge ram 5.7 hemi .

;):icon_salut::):icon_salut:

If they are prepared to use the US post office then postage will be much cheaper than UPS and the like, all depends on weight and freindlyness... VAT will need to be paid and a custom charge when you collect your parcel. Ive done it many times.

Andy

The last 2 items that I bought from the US were both sent via USPS. Both items were held at Customs and I got charged VAT and duties (the last item was a Crawford Machine focuser. £110 for the item, £30 charges). Any other time different couriers were used and I did not receive any charges.

The last 2 items that I bought from the US were both sent via USPS. Both items were held at Customs and I got charged VAT and duties (the last item was a Crawford Machine focuser. £110 for the item, £30 charges). Any other time different couriers were used and I did not receive any charges.

Ditto for me USPS the last few times I been charged the extras

You also have the import duty to pay (for a telescope for instance, this is 4.2%).

So factor in an additional 25% on the total cost (including postage etc).

As far as saving a few pounds, the saving can be hundreds of pounds, so if you are prepared to take the potential hit on sending it back to the US if a warranty reapir is required, it can be a considerable saving.

Factor in the time not just the money. Several months lost of viewing is worth how much?

Factor in several months viewing?

About 1 night then?

As I am looking to buy a solar scope, and won't be using it much until spring, it's not a consideration.

UPS deliver from the USA in less than a week, the cheaper USPS option is quoted as 10 days.

I recently bought a RoboFocus, which as far as I know can only be ordered from the US. I paid in US Dollars and I collected the item from the local UPS warehouse - without paying duties or any additional fees ;).

A few days later I recieved an invoice through the post from UPS for the duties and fees :). Thought I'd "gotten clean away with it" :).

(The RoboFocus is very nice though!)

Jonathan

I recently bought a RoboFocus, which as far as I know can only be ordered from the US. I paid in US Dollars and I collected the item from the local UPS warehouse - without paying duties or any additional fees ;).

A few days later I recieved an invoice through the post from UPS for the duties and fees :). Thought I'd "gotten clean away with it" :).

(The RoboFocus is very nice though!)

Jonathan

EXACT same thing happened to me buying from the states once (a music tech purchase, not an astro one). i did a little dance in the ups depot carpark because I thought i'd got away with it. it made me a very sad panda that i got invoiced for it later.

I have always found that if items come by FedEx I tend to get the most reasonable service.

If bits are small and come in and through the Post Office then as they charge you for the priviledge of paying the VAT etc it isn't worth it. Will say that the post office goods tend to be smaller. Seems to be the way of things.

Delivery has always been pretty good, better then many delivery services in the UK.

Small items may avoid customs payments - unless through our post office - they seem to always charge. If the item is expensive then even with them the overall cost may be sufficently less to make it worth while.

Basically do your homework first.

Thanks for the replys guys,

Looks like I'll takethe gamble. Even with the taxes things are workin out cheaper. Don't it make you sick that you have to shop 4000 miles away to get a decent price!!

Cheers

Sully

Archived