NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi everybody - North London calling.......

davebodger

My fascination with the stars started when I was a small boy and continued on into my teens but in those days I could afford little equipment, the best being a pair of binoculars and a small 50mm refractor.

When I started working the skies got forgotten and though I toyed with the idea of getting a big scope over the years it never seemed to happen as they were expensive and there was always something else more demanding of the available cash.

Now I am retired and looking at getting back into it with the hope of doing some digital photography and CCD imaging of DSOs.

Whilst I am reading through all the posts and tutorials I am dreaming of a nice 305mm flex goto dobsonian but actually awaiting delivery of a 76mm Heritage reflector with which to practice before laying out any substantial money.

Located in North London I obviously suffer from light pollution so filters will be essential and trips out of town likely to be a necessity to see anything other than the moon.

So I am looking for kit that is as portable as possible (hence starting with the 76mm) as it all has to fit in a Golf Plus along with the wife and son (although I suspect they may drop out once the novelty has worn off).

All advice greatfully accepted.

Regards.

Dave.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave and welcome to SGL :)

A 12" Dobsonian is quite a large and heavy scope. Mine goes in a Volvo estate and I wouldn't want to pack it in a Golf with a familly lol. You may need to upgrade the car first. Best advice is to join a local astro soc and go to an obs meeting. You'll get to see and try some of these scopes in the flesh and get a good idea of what you want to aim for :(

Archived