Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've bought a Celestron Evolution mount for solar, outreach and grab and go  :grin:   Having fun with it so far (between clouds and snow!).  I got a proof of concept with lodestar live - won't be able to do long integration because of Alt az tracking, but for assisted viewing it looks promising.

Helen

Today I finally received my Rainbow Optics two piece Star-Spectroscope from OPT.

It did not have an easy job getting here. There was a broker's tax on it that I wasn't aware of that was roughly £50 (on top of the £160 ish for the spectroscope itself and £30 ish for shipping and VAT). I wasn't made aware of this fee until yesterday and I had to pay it at the door. There was no mention of this broker's fee by the shipping company or OPT and when I asked OPT about it they said hat I should have known about it anyway. My spectroscope spent 6 days in some warehouse in Cardiff just over the hill as OPT hadn't given the shipping company permission to move it to a pick-up location. 

So, while I am disappointed with the service of OPT and the shipping company I am glad to finally have it here. I'm wondering if things would have gone smoother had I bought it directly from Rainbow Optics. Regardless, I now just need a clear sky to try it out on. 

Parcel force is known for charging a "handling fee" just for "rushing" the products through customers and back charging. Unfortunatly it is probably this that was charged although they usually send a letter either before delivering or after. Not at the door. Also I would personally write a review on the suppliers board just to inform others of your issue. At least you have it now though:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Hi Paul, well the 2inch wide angle ie 30 to 35 mm lens will be your most used if your anything like me. I had the panaview on order with flo for ages before giving up and getting something else. I'm sure Pete has one and loves it so wide angle is the way to go and I'm pretty sure he really rates his. 2inch Barlow I'm not so sure about. Wouldn't that just narrow the fov of the wide angle lens and pretty much defeat the object of it in the first place..?

Celestron Ultima 80  straight thru as a "car scope" ....

I don't like leaving the diminutive but expensive Nikon ED50 scope and it's Nikon EP's (nearly a grands worth) in the car  but often catch sight of something that needs closer inspection... 

So picked up the Ultima 80 for the purpose.... Straight thru is also easier to use supported on the door frame...

Seems OK so far :)

Solar Projection Screen for our Telementor arrived today.  :biggrin:

Although we've had a beautiful but cold sunny day here, the parcel arrived a little too late in the day to get a glimpse of old Sol.  Looks like tonight is going to be a clear one in my neck of the woods, so I'm going to try something I've never considered before, just for fun.............. 

Moon Projection.   :unsure:

post-21902-0-64777400-1423239946.jpg

Archived