Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do open clusters bore you?

Phil4130

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say apart from the 'premier' open clusters I avoid hunting them down as I find them boring to look at. Do you?

Yeah, there are more exciting things in the sky but to be fair, most of those are just different shaped and brightness fuzzy blobs!

Resolving globs is really not that different to resolving OCs.

M45 and the Perseus Double Cluster always look good, to name drop a couple of showstoppers.

for me, as with most visual observing, open clusters really start to look good with more aperture. I'd sooner look at anything other than doubles and planets/moon through my big dob as they generally look better no matter what they are (assuming they fit in the 1 degree field it gives).

the answer to the question is a resounding NO from me. I certainly prefer globs but really enjoy hunting out open clusters too especially the fainter tighter ones like NGC 2158 which is next to M35 in Gemini and will be round again soon.

I do agree that some are hardly worth the effort finding but I'd be at a loss on those nights of poor seeing if it wasn't for OC's. It's also worth bearing in mind that those OC's that seem a waste of time under LP skies can often offer way more under more ideal conditions.

As above there's more to viewing one type of object than just looking at it. You can image it, look up it's vital stats, resolve colours and numbers of stars, log it or sketch it, split it, examine it with various apertures or scope types and note differences etc, etc. I never seem to tire of anything astro - so no - not boring for me at all :D

for me, as with most visual observing, open clusters really start to look good with more aperture......... really enjoy hunting out open clusters too especially the fainter tighter ones like NGC 2158 which is next to M35 in Gemini and will be round again soon.

NGC2158 is nicely resolved in my 14" Flextube - you're spot on about aperture really adding to open clusters.

I'm more of a globular fan myself but there's lots of nice open clusters to look at so I wouldn't call them boring :D With smaller apertures many globulars aren't really resolvable whereas there's many excellent open clusters that are great objects in smaller apertures - M11, The Wild Duck springs to mind.

James

I think there are quite a lot of astronomical objects that are not particularly impressive through the eyepiece ................ until you learn a bit more about them that is. Then I find they take on whole new fascination :D

Supernovae are a good example. On the face of it, what is exciting about a barely visible pinprick of light against a barely visible faint smudge of light ?. What gives it impact is the knowledge that you are witnessing, with your own eye, a massive and cataclysmic event hundreds of millions of miles away that occurred over 20 million years ago (I'm thinking of supernova 2011dh in M51 here).

I guess my take is that if I find an object superficially dull then I probably need to find out more about it ;)

I know what you mean Phil as some of them might appeal more than others. I have just nearly finished reading a book on the history, physics and observational details of all the messier objects and I have started to revisit some of the more 'open' clusters because of what I now understand about them and that has rekindled my interest a lot. Not strictly a visual reason to reconsider their virtues but I personally find a little extra knowledge does facilitate a new perspective on what you see. Agree about them being more impressive in darker skies.

James

Archived