Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Panel 2.0 released! (Android App)

Shibby

Thanks! Yeah, that's one thing about Android development that is actually more awkward than iPhone development - supporting the endless multitude of different resolutions, sizes and screen densities :)

I've made the effort here to try and make sure it scales to all screens - so if you have a tablet, please let me know how it looks!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just released another minor update - you can now force use of GPS and I've done a bugfix for the lunar calender, which was displaying the wrong month when you initially display it.

However, I had a report on lunar altitudes being incorrect in the US. Are there any non-UK users here who can test that for me and confirm whether the lunar altitudes are correct or not? Thanks!

hi shibby , i really like the look and the ease of use of your app , but the forcast is always quite unaccurate ...sorry .... i stay in darvel ayrshire , the forcast is around 4- 6 hours out , if the app says claer at 6pm ..it does not nusually clear up till 10 - 12pm ...cheers

It looks nice....a great piece of work (and lets face it, it cannot be any more inaccurate than the BBC forecast!)

LOL -- it does make me laugh that the main bbc channel always has a different forecast to the regional bbc channel and none of the two are correct

Dave

Thanks guys, I'll endevour to continue updating the app while people find it useful.

the forcast is always quite unaccurate ...sorry .... i stay in darvel ayrshire , the forcast is around 4- 6 hours out , if the app says claer at 6pm ..it does not nusually clear up till 10 - 12pm ...cheers

Not much I can can do about the forecast itself, but does it match the web-based version for you? (Just want to check there isn't some sort of timezone bug involved - quite possible as timezones cause me all kinds of headaches!) The web version of 7Timer is here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=7timer&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2F7timer.y234.cn%2F&ei=D_s8T7yJNqrD0QX3zcDGBw&usg=AFQjCNFy8SAFGXxmeBe1asg2uDGlZk4QRg&sig2=oJwT2LRD1pOqVnpHO4s1ag

Would be lovely if you ever happen to develop this for iOS too. I downloaded your app onto my husband's android phone and it looks very useful, but my own phone is an iPhone.

Sorry, I don't do iPhone :icon_scratch: It might be on the PlayBook soon though...

I suppose the reason for no iPhone is the idiotic decision by Apple (or rather Steve Jobs) that all must be written in Objective C. This language is essentially used nowhere else. Apple really want to ensure that developers are tied in to Apple alone. For this reason alone I will not buy an iPhone.

Michael, you're exactly right. I have no will or desire to learn objective C with its unusual messaging syntax (unusual to me, at least). They're lucky really that they already have lots of developers.

If any iPhone developers out there want to port Astro Panel over, they're welcome. It won't be an easy port, though!

I know you can't please everyone, but have just received this review:

Why????? A pointless app. Use a proper weather forecast instead. It does not predict iss and other satellites accurately. Removed

ISS predictions seem fine to me, but I don't want the app to be not work properly for everyone... can somebody please test for me? Particularly if outside the UK. Also, lunar altitudes - I'm not sure if they are always correct outside the UK? Thanks!

I know you can't please everyone, but have just received this review:

ISS predictions seem fine to me, but I don't want the app to be not work properly for everyone... can somebody please test for me? Particularly if outside the UK. Also, lunar altitudes - I'm not sure if they are always correct outside the UK? Thanks!

For me in the Netherlands the accuracy of the weather seems reasonable, the lunar altitudes are certainly close to what I see. No big deviations. Have not looked at ISS predictions yet. May do so when sky clears :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is fabulous and works brilliantly for planning a night's viewing! Thanks for a great app.

Is it possible to find the information Astro Panel uses in an archive anywhere, (searchable by date) so I can look at the weather figures for the best viewing nights I have had over the year?

Just seen that silly review you had Shibby. I'm sure you will, but just ignore it, not exactly constructive and plain wrong!

It's a great app. I used it last night and it was bang on. I totally understand you can't control the forecasts but the app puts them into a very convenient format. Thank you :):)

Stu

Fingers crossed, it has been accurate for myself so far. Heres hoping it continues, its showing that my sky has to clear at 1500 today and stay clear until midnight tomorrow night. My scope is sitting at the patio doors and all the eyepieces ready to be shunted outside for an evenings viewing. Its good to have something that at least allows you to plan ahead.

Dave

A query if possible Shibby, for some weeks now since it last updated I never get any notifications about possible clear nights.

My settings in Alerts is...

Alert between hours 13 and 22

Alert me up to 8 hours

Alert me after min 3 hours

Cloud Cover 1/4 (25%)

Seeing 2"-2.5" (ie 2nd from right)

Transparency 0.7-0.85 (ie 3rd from right)

Night Only Ticked

Is this correct for notifications or have I messed up?

My phone is a Moto Atrix running on 2.3 gingerbread and I leave the app running in the background.

Love the app on my phone. Yes, the app relies on the base forecast data below it, which isn't particularly accurate but it is a good guide. I'm hoping the Met Office will produce similar data but at much higher temporal and spatial resolution, but would probably be UK only. I'm working on them.

As for iOS, I'm sure some will have a go. You don't have to use ObjectC though. You could write an AIR app in ActionScript that'll run both on iOS, Android and PlayBook.

Cheers

Ian

Archived