SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro Panel 2.0 released! (Android App)

Shibby

Thanks very much for all the nice comments :) I made the app because it was something I thought I would find useful; glad to see others do too!

Is it possible to find the information Astro Panel uses in an archive anywhere, (searchable by date) so I can look at the weather figures for the best viewing nights I have had over the year?

Alas no, I don't think there is any historic data available anywhere. Client-side logging is an interesting idea, though...

A query if possible Shibby, for some weeks now since it last updated I never get any notifications about possible clear nights.

Hmm, those settings look fine to me, and you say it's definitely running in the background... Remember that it won't alert you to any datapoints you've already seen, i.e. if you keep opening the app you'll never see an alert. Could you do me a favour and lower all the settings thresholds, then don't open the app for a while to see if you get any alerts at all? Thanks.

As for iOS, I'm sure some will have a go. You don't have to use ObjectC though. You could write an AIR app in ActionScript that'll run both on iOS, Android and PlayBook.

Yeah, I've considered that as a mobile developer I should learn Air. Hard to find the time at the moment though.

About PlayBook, though, the app has just gone live today for PlayBook OS 2.0! :) Does anyone out there own a playbook??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, those settings look fine to me, and you say it's definitely running in the background... Remember that it won't alert you to any datapoints you've already seen, i.e. if you keep opening the app you'll never see an alert. Could you do me a favour and lower all the settings thresholds, then don't open the app for a while to see if you get any alerts at all? Thanks.

It's been 10 days since I adjusted all the seeing to be the lowest (ie full cloud cover, bad seeing etc) and I have not had a notification at all since then either. Going to clear the data cache and the uninstall it, rebbot the atrix and then reinstall it to see if that works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lewis,

I have blogged about using your app in the field here: What's Happening at Knightware: A Red Screen Cover for Smartphones

I am enjoying this app despite the volatile spring weather here in the eastern US. Our local meteorologists are not faring well with accuracy either.

I have looked at the lunar altitude accuracy and I do see a problem. I suspect you may be calculating for Standard time, not Daylight time. Our time change rules changed to 2d Sunday in March a few years ago. If I calculate altitude for March 31 @ 11pm (local Eastern US), the result is very close to what Astro Panel shows for midnight April 1. If you need any help testing, please contact me by PM. I'd be happy to help.

Again, I am enjoying using Astro Panel. Thank you for providing such a useful app!

- Phyllis

• 11 months later...

Hi is there a problem with the app it used to work brilliantly but the last couple of days just force closes I've tried uninstalling but still doesn't work

It tries to download forecast but fails i have no problems with other apps accessing the internet so don't think its my phone .

Galaxy S running android 2.33

Cheers Dave

Hi is there a problem with the app it used to work brilliantly but the last couple of days just force closes I've tried uninstalling but still doesn't work

It tries to download forecast but fails i have no problems with other apps accessing the internet so don't think its my phone .

Galaxy S running android 2.33

Cheers Dave

I also have same issue... The app crashes in the same manner on my HTC Desire HD.

Me too... Started crashing yesterday :(

HTC one X android JB

... Maybe it just can't display all the cloud data!

LOL yes didn't think of that, its just fed up with all the cloud

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Shibby. I've had this app since about March and love it. I've got a problem, though. I went to check it last night and again today and, although it shows my correct coordinates, the app is saying that it is having a problem downloading the data feed. I've got the most recently  updated version, deleted it and downloaded it again, done a hard re-set of my galaxy express, and still get the message.  All of my other apps that download location type data (NOAA, Clear Sky droid, etc) are working fine. Any suggestions?  Thanks

Strangely enough my AP is doing to on S3 - I had put it down to connection issues back to 7timer.

It is a very useful app, which I've been using for 8 months or so now without realising it was developed by Shibby - My thanks to add to the long list!

Thanks for the reminder to download this guys,

Had an iPhone back in 2011 when Shibby released it but now have Android so I can get it now!

The 7Timer website seems to have been down for about 3 days now, so I know it won't work properly until they get their act together.

And thanks from me as well Shibby, for a great app. :smiley: I usually check the 7Timer website every day or two but this will be so much easier.

Archived