NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If Anyone's Interested?(I'd be suprised!)

If anyone's interested I've just bought my first ever telescope on line

I was so excited, even though I promised myself not to start a thread, I have!

I ended up choosing a orion 10" intelliscope after some good advice from the brilliant members of this lounge. If any of you remember thanks a million...

I also bought a collimation tool but if anyone can suggest a few extra eyepieces to buy that would be great

It comes with a Sirius Plossl 25mm (48x) and 10mm (120x)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! Thats a big ol' scope :p

I thought people struggled to find Orion stuff in the uk... Anyway, for the eyepieces, it's personal preference, though most go for plossl's. You can Either stick with the eyepieces you have now and buy some other sizes (like maybe a 15mm and a 32mm) for versatility, or just upgrade the ones you have now, since 10mm and 25mm are both useful.

Or you could do both... :)

A very nice choice of telescope, you were advised well, and a lot of nice sights await you. I would get a quality x2 Barlow. That will double your scopes focal length effectively, and will therefore double the power of your existing eyepieces, so wth the Barlow in the system, your magnifications for your two existing eyepieces become x96 and x240.

Ron.

Nice one - and don't worry about sharing your excitement on here - I do the same and it's good to share enthusiasm for the hobby.

The advice to buy a good quality barlow is spot on IMHO. Doubles the options available to you with whatever EPs you have and a quality barlow will be with you for life. Don't compromise on quality tho'!

Cheers, Ian

Wow cool, it's lucky this lounge is virtual or I'd be giving everyone a hug!

Yep jimmyjamjoejoe I only found one place in the UK where they were actually in stock (ScS), the Widescreen also had one, but an ex showroom model not for delivery.

Anyway it's always nice to get something brand spanking!

Thanks again everyone, I'm off to intelli-bed!

Were all interested Tinny !!

been thinking about an Orion dob for my next purchase (next year hopefully) and would really like to hear how it works out for you.

Assuming new scope cloud curse lifts of course

Hey thanks guys

I've found out I've got a week and a half till it arrives tho :-S

Hope I don't go mad first!

Just been using my bino's to keep me going!

Honestly thank you for showing interest, it means a lot

Congrats. You should see some fantastic things with it. However It will be a very large physical piece of equipment. Have you seen one in the flesh? I bought the 8" version way back in April without seeing one first. I never realised how big it was going to be (Dumb newbie). I only have a small house and couldn't cope with such a large scope, so I sent it back and got something smaller. Yes I know the new one isn't as powerful, but it is certainly easier to live with on a day to day basis and also it is a telescope that I am going to use more often as it is relatively easy to get into the garden and set up. The saying on this forum is "The best scope to buy is the one you will use the most often".

Hi There,

Cracking scope, I would go along to your local astro group and see what others have. Most will be delighted to let you see through their ep's so that you can make an informed judgement.

Mid range are the BST's which are great ep's for the money. Skies the limit let you try and send the ones you don't need back, which is a great way of trying side by side.

I would also echo comment above about a decent barlow.

Have fun when the scope arrives.

Cheers

Hiya Tinny,

Congratulations on the new scope, fantastic piece of kit you got there.

As has been stated a good Barlow is a great investment, Celestron ultima or Televue retail at about £70-80 but why not go a stretch further and get a Televue powermate, its a better investment these offer the same benefit of the barlow with much less (if any) loss in viewing quality.

For EP's I'd echo the Celestron X-Cel LX's - there are currently a few of these on ebay with a starting rate of £45

If you can stretch to the Celestron Ultimas these are going from the same seller with starting bids of £75 (I just got a 13mm for a final bid of £78,07) these are usually £135 on David Hinds

If you want better still and can afford it look for Televue's plenty of advice on those in other threads.

Good luck and have lots of fun with the new scope.

Archived