Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live 2012

kharga

Looking forward to the programmes, just hope they have somebody good on this time? One JR was a very bad idea as a presenter!

Our society will be out in force again in early Janruary, last year the pitch we did at Lacock (Wiltshire) brought in over 500 people over a three hour period. Never seen some many people queueing up to look through differents scopes, just hope we have the clear skies for the evening?

Peter

Careful what you wish for, they might replace Wossy with Graham Norton (again), and with his presenting style & humour mixed with telescopes there might be an innuendo overload powerful enough to bring down the national grid...

Dara was good last year though. A good balance of approachable and knowledgeable enough.

It's the Irish woman who irritates me. Every time she asks a question her eyes glaze over and I always get the idea that she doesn't listen to the answer. A generic anodyne TV presenter.

I'd suggest that if they really need to go to Hawaii they get a new presenter. Me for example. Wrong sex, a bit fatter but better looking than Dara. Perfect!

Dara was good last year though. A good balance of approachable and knowledgeable enough.

Knowledgeable enough? He has a degree in Mathematical Physics I think :)

Funnily enough, there's three comedians I seem to recall that have some proper geek stuff degrees .....

It's the Irish woman who irritates me. Every time she asks a question her eyes glaze over and I always get the idea that she doesn't listen to the answer. A generic anodyne TV presenter.

Liz Bonnin? Don't disagree with your analysis particularly, though she's actually French. She also has a degree in Biochemistry (as well as a Masters), so it's quite disappointing that she comes across as so vacuous.

James

Funnily enough, there's three comedians I seem to recall that have some proper geek stuff degrees .....

Hmmm. Ben Miller is the obvious choice. Rowan Atkinson might count. Harry Hill possibly also. Depends what you consider as geek stuff. If you allow drop-outs then Eddie Izzard might count, too.

Who else?

James

Knowledgeable enough? He has a degree in Mathematical Physics I think :)

Sure but you need someone who's taking the place of the learner along side the experts / teachers to make it an approachable show for the novice. Otherwise you have "the sky at night" which is great, but that is for the likes of us who already want to watch, not for easily intimitaded newbies.

Stargazing is really to get the novices hooked in, with enough other stuff to keep us lot involved and watching too, so that we all have a common ground to talk about.

So someone has to take the part of the learner, however much they already know, and that's where Dara can do a great job. He's a bright guy who can ask the dumb questions on behalf of novice viewers, making the show approachable and mainstream rather than highbrow and for those

already "in the know".

• 1 month later...

I thought Dara was prety good last year and BC is always a sure fire win for presenting.

As mentioned above.. i just hope they keep Ross away from it

Would suggest Jennifer Aniston as she is also an amatuer astronomer by all accounts (not to mention good eye candy ;))

Archived