Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Selling Stellarium on Ebay

Astroegg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're are just a bitter idiot.

Read the GPL before you rattle your sabre.

Wow i would love to see a post from you when you get "passionate" about a subject :)

Dont know if i should welcome you to SGL or point you towards the nearest exit

The door has been shown.

Sorry I'm not putting up with that. IMO that's pretty much a personal attack.

If it was an established member having a bad day - then a PM asking not to do it again would have been right, but a first post... that doesn't deserve any consideration.

Ant

The door has been shown.

Sorry I'm not putting up with that. IMO that's pretty much a personal attack.

If it was an established member having a bad day - then a PM asking not to do it again would have been right, but a first post... that doesn't deserve any consideration.

Ant

:)

Swift action like this is what keeps this forum what it is. Tres bien.

In the early days of Linux one of the only practical ways of getting it was to buy a CD with the distro you needed. So I guess that's why the authors usually deliberately allowed the concept of sale by others.

Not really. The GPL predates Linux by a long way. Ten years or more I think. It just happens that most of the software that forms part of many Linux distributions happens to be released under the GPL or other licences that allowed resale, largely because if you're creating a distribution that requires certain core software there's no point re-inventing the wheel. Some of that software also appeared in other UNIX-derived distributions such as the "free" BSDs and Minix.

(In fact, in the early days of Linux -- circa 1993/1994, not that many people had access to CD drives and it was quite common to download it and write it to a fistful of floppies :)

James

• 4 months later...

It's still on ebay :D I was going to start a new thread, but did a search and found this one.....

I was stunned when I saw it there. Whatever the legalities - selling free to download software, profit from someone else's work, just seems plain wrong to me....

(In fact, in the early days of Linux -- circa 1993/1994, not that many people had access to CD drives and it was quite common to download it and write it to a fistful of floppies :D

James

I remember those days (showing my age) - there was a veritable cottage industry of folks providing catalogues full of shareware & freeware. All those zillions of floppies must now be in a landfill site somewhere I guess.

Archived