Slugs!

Why discard the beer flavoured slugs?

You could deep fry them and market them as a high protein alternative to wasabi peas. Contact your local trendy pub.......... <mind goes off in a random direction>

similar to tequila with the maggot:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your replies, serious and not so serious - I still can't wipe the smile off my face at the thought of beer flavoured slugs!

I should have said that I have already discounted the beer and pellets cures - the beer cos I've tried it before and some of them always get through, usually attracted to me(!) and the pellets cos they might be bad for the frogs, which have helped reduce the problem a bit but not resolved it.

Sharp grit, copper and children's zappers on the other hand sound very interesting, perhaps I should surround my viewing area with a 'moat' of salt, sharp grit and copper wire connected to the house mains?! That would stop the blighters!

Seriously, I think the sharp grit and copper might just do it, my only concern is how to arrange the copper. It's tempting to build a raised vewing area so I could wrap wide copper 'tape' around the edge, but it's pounds to peanuts that I'd forget my 'elevated' position one day and slip off my perch!

I shall keep thinking about this - not one to make hasty decisions - but I must thank you all for your unexpectedly entertaining and highly useful suggestions, thanks chaps!

While I'm no expert, and something of a Noob at Astronomy, I do have some gardening experience. Im not sure gravel or egg shell will sort them. So you have to either poison them, create a natural environment where wildlife feast on them, or use biological warfare on them. I think perhaps a mixture of these would do the very best job. Nematodes can be effective, Poison isn't so friendly but does work after a fashion, wildlife? well it takes a while to build it up, making your garden friendly is a science all of it's own. Whatever you choose I hope it sorts it for you. The copper wire is supposed to be good? it's a cheap experiment to try?

Nothing wrong with snails .... delicious!

Isn't a slug just a snail without the crunchy bit?

slightly off topic i recently bought a racing snail that wasnt very fast (never won a race) so i removed its shell to make it faster but it didnt help in fact it made it more slugish

The giant orangey brown slugs in our garden seem to end up in the guinea pig's food bowl each morning. I reach into the hutch to get the bowl and find a slimy bowl with four or five of the b***ers in there. I've been out a couple of evenings with the hoe - v effective, if a little messy, and it's good for the soul.

Thanks for all your advice chaps, much appreciated. Decided to build my viewing area slightly raised with copper tape wrapped around it. If that doesn't keep the slugs off I shall dig a trench around it and fill it with eggshells! Thanks again, will definitely visit this website again when I'm up and running. Whoopee!

Originally Posted by brantuk viewpost.gif

Draw a circle on the ground around your entire rig (leaving standing room) using a thin layer of salt.

Just take a pot of salt out with you when you are observing. Sprinkle liberally around your viewing area. The slugs will explode.

Talking slugs i seen gigantic massive one eating some bird seed ball that fell out of me bird house from the back end of hurricane katia we had in uk.

i havent nailed it back up on fence yet.

the salt trick will kill them. you can get slug killer from local superstore.

i have bottle of Doff Slugoids Slug Killer Pellets i need to sprinkle around garden sometime.

You need to train either some badgers, porcupines, wild boars or a particular breed of ducks (sadly I don't know the name in english) to deal with the slimy enemy.

My wife prefers salt but I hate watching them squirm in agony when they melt.

Yes I am (also) a soft one.

You need to train either some badgers, porcupines, wild boars or a particular breed of ducks (sadly I don't know the name in english) to deal with the slimy enemy.

My wife prefers salt but I hate watching them squirm in agony when they melt.

Yes I am (also) a soft one.

Isn't it Muscovies that eat slugs? As for the salt, I'm the same, no matter how much I hate them it's horrible seeing them melt. Copper tape has always worked for me. they also don't like a ring of bark chippings (although these are like sharp gravel and are only a "don't like" solution). Good luck.

Archived