Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello and thanks.

Tuddy76

Hello all,

I've been reading these forums for a while now, and I wanted to introduced myself.

My name is Chris, I'm from Liverpool and I just turned 31 on Monday.

Although I've always been interested reading about space and looking at pictures of planets and stars etc I'm completely new to astronomy.

Thanks to these forums I've been able to narrow down my choice of first scope. I've settled on the Skywatcher Explorer 130PM as it seems like a manageable scope to handle and set up while I come to grips with finding my way around the night sky.

I wasn't sure when I was going to get one, but I was overwhelmed on Monday morning when one turned up on the doorstep as a surprise birthday present from my girlfriend. She also bought me a copy of Terence Dickinson's "Nightwatch" which I think is going to be invaluable to me.

Today was my first opportunity to get it out of the box and set it up, and typically after 3 clear days and nights, the clouds have rolled in, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go in the next week or so.

I have plenty of questions to ask which I'll post in the relevant forums, but in the meantime if anyone knows of any good places around Liverpool to observe from, I'd love to hear from you.

I'm looking forward to contributing to these forums and getting to know you all, and I can't wait to post about my first nights viewing.

Until then I'll just wish you all clear skies.

Chris.

Welcome to SGL Chris. I started out reading the Nightwatch book, it's a cracker and will get your enthusiasm well and truly going. Good luck with setting up the scope and here's to clear skies.

Cheers, Martin

Hi Chris,

Enjoy your new scope :D I look forward to reading your first report (crikey that sounds like being back at school but i'm sure you know what I mean :lol:)

Welcome

Bill£

Yes I do get it. :D

I have to say when it arrived on Monday I did feel like a kid again.

We're a bit pushed for space and my girlfriend is already calling it a dalek in the corner of the room.

Hi Chris,

Enjoy your new scope :D I look forward to reading your first report (crikey that sounds like being back at school but i'm sure you know what I mean :D)

Welcome

Bill£

Yes I do get it. :lol:

I have to say when it arrived on Monday I did feel like a kid again.

We're a bit pushed for space and my girlfriend is already calling it a dalek in the corner of the room.

As long as she doesn't utter those famous words. "Exterminate Exterminate."

Welcome Chris.

Ron. :D

Welcome Chris, as has been said already the 130pm is a great first scope. Unfortunately it seems to be infected with some kind of virus as, after a couple of sessions with it you want more eyepieces and stuff. As the virus progresses you start craving for more aperture. This leads to a rapid depletion of your financial health and eventually a long rest as the men in white coats lead you away because the neighbours have reported seeing you dancing around the back garden and shouting at the cloud gods. Welcome to the hobby. :D

Archived