Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Excellent light pollution map

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the link to this map has been posted many times (seems many websites us the same picture), maybe it should be stickied?

I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I realise that living in really bad light polluted skies, there is nothing much I can do, especially if I don't drive. It severely limits my ability to enjoy this hobby. I don't know how to approach this situation.

i think you need to check your colur vision ....
Well, the village itself is marked as cyan, but once outside the village, there appears to be no colour overlay so I assumed that to be the black category. Am I wrong? I don't live in Appleby, just in case that's confused things; I live about 6 miles away.

post-23432-133877657505_thumb.jpg

I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I realise that living in really bad light polluted skies, there is nothing much I can do, especially if I don't drive. It severely limits my ability to enjoy this hobby. I don't know how to approach this situation.

In your position I'd be thinking about concentrating on lunar and planetary work or maybe looking at getting a solar telescope?

I lived in the suburbs for many years and more or less gave up astronomy at home (excepting holidays to the country side). Now I've moved back into the wilds I have taken it up again.

• 1 month later...

This may be as good a location as any to mention the worst light pollution I suffered. It was on the student accommodation site I was in in my fourth year at University. Brand new build, and immediately by the buildings they opted for low sideways mounted white fluorescents, something like this: New Indoor and Outdoor Bulkhead: High Frequency Round Luminaire | New Light Fittings from Sparks & Lights but with the disk up on end. These were used in excess numbers and left on all night.

I wasn't especially interested in observational astronomy at that point. My room was on the second (and highest) floor, and these lights shining in disturbed my sleep :D

Meanwhile, the "garden" areas on the same site, which one has to walk through to get between the various buildings and entrances, were underlit.

Oh, and we were less than half a mile from the University's telescopes.

(The general sky darkness is probably worse where I am in Birmingham, but there isn't the same degree of specific awful lighting right where I live.)

Not totally convinced by the map. Various of the villages near to me are painted yellow.. yet have little or no lighting.

I assume it's just based on housing densities... rather than where the street lights are?

Not totally convinced by the map. Various of the villages near to me are painted yellow.. yet have little or no lighting.

I assume it's just based on housing densities... rather than where the street lights are?

I've noticed that- we're in a scattered hamlet of a dozen houses spread over a large area with no lights for miles yet still shown as a blue dot on the map. If it was 'real' light pollution then you wouldn't see any colour on the map?

DYLIFELIGHTPOLLUTION.jpg

Archived