Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Excellent light pollution map

I am sure this has been posted on here befire but a brief look didn't show anything.

This light pollution map is ideal to find out how polluted your skies are and where you can go to find a dark site.

I am in the cyan section, which surprised me. I thought I would get a better result than that, having no neighbours for around a mile and not being in any kind of connurbation but Leeds 10 miles still adds significantly. Another 3 miles out and it would place me in very dark skies indeed.

If you live in a light polluted area this can be invaluable to find your nearest genuine dark site.

http://avex.org.free.fr/cartes-pl/uk/UK-pl-relief-topo.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the best LP map ive seen yet. Thanks for that very handy! Sadly for me on the south coast im an Orange/Red.....not good. But having said that it seems I dont have to go far to notice a significant drop in LP

• 2 weeks later...

It kind of does yeah, and believe it or not I'm on the edge of a semi rural/suburban location with patches of forest and farmland around.

I really don't get why they feel the need to light the place up so much, it's like an honour for them to have street lights here or something.

It's ridiculous.

Ooooooo - black for me!

Trouble is, if there was a similar map for broadband, mobile phone signal, tv through an aerial, supermarket home delivery or the chances of an ambulance reaching you in time in an emergency.....I'd also be in the black bit.

i think you need to check your colur vision ....

yellow/green/cyan for me good star map, i can see around a few hundred stars on the average night but unable to get good views in the east due to hull which is going on red+ which is why i can only realy observe in the north,south and west most of the year. although are a few street lights viewable from my back garden the skies are nice and dark and lots of stars visable on a good night even better in winter. Just to give you an idea you can see a orange glow from hull when jupiter was in the orange glow it was just a glowing ball but waiting 2 more hours so it was around straight up in the darkest part of my garden bands are visable, red spot and more.

yellow/green/cyan for me good star map, i can see around a few hundred stars on the average night but unable to get good views in the east due to hull which is going on red+ which is why i can only realy observe in the north,south and west most of the year. although are a few street lights viewable from my back garden the skies are nice and dark and lots of stars visable on a good night even better in winter. Just to give you an idea you can see a orange glow from hull when jupiter was in the orange glow it was just a glowing ball but waiting 2 more hours so it was around straight up in the darkest part of my garden bands are visable, red spot and more.

Similar to me, I am right on the edge of green and cyan but have Leeds to the south. Looking south I can see a real glow of LP up to quite a high angle of the sky (it would be south as well), that limits my viewing, even though I am a good few miles out of the city. To the north east and west it is pitch black. Still on a clear night I have a good view of the galactic centre arching over the sky and can see so fairly dim stars with the naked eye, it could be much worse.

Archived