NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from just outside Reading, Berkshire

Stargazer51N

Hi everybody.

I've been stargazing on and off for the last few years with varying degrees of success. It's rather light polluted where I live so get extremely varied results. On a few occasions I've had a fantastic nights observing but mostly I get frustrated by washed out skies. I've tried excursions to darker sites (including a few nights at Brighstone IOW - not at the star party though) but the weather or seeing always lets me down!

Not to be put off I recently bought an SPC880 to have a go at the moon & planets from my back garden. Haven't had a clear night (that I haven't had to get up early in the morning following) to try it out yet so I've been reading the excellent threads on SGL instead.

Keep meaning to pluck up the courage to go to a star party or club, but haven't managed it yet!

That's enough rambling from me for now.

Dark / clear skies to you all.

Stargazer51N

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over a period of about fifteen years I lived in Newbury, Theale and just outside Wokingham (within about 100m of the M4). I can well believe the light pollution is appalling.

James

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've not been observing as long as you have but the variation in how much the LP affects the viewing conditions around here sounds familiar.

I hoping it will improve a bit in winter at the moment there seems to be a lot more reflected glow in the sky from all the dust and pollution I assume.

Tyr

Don't worry about the star party - they only bit if there's a lack of Jaffa cakes.

From Martins Heron here.. my experience of a star party was great (SGL6) and you learn a massive amount in a short time.

Archived