Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnard's Star, another year

Rob_Jn

I've been following this star for, well quite a long time now, this year will be 20 years! The animation below comprises images taken originally in 1991 then '96' '98, 2000, 2003, 2007 and this year. The proper motion is the greatest of any star at 10.3" per annum. Over 20 years this amounts to 3.43'.

The image scale has remained the same but the images have been taken on film and 3 different CCD's!

Some more info. here from 2007.

Thanks for looking,

Rob.

rob_jn-albums-rob-s-images-picture12125-barnard-1991-2011.gif

excellent. patience par excellance.

It's interesting how 99.9% of the rest of the image just doesn't change.

So far I've only seen one other object change: on the bottom edge near another star a dot appears on frame 3.

definite POW candidate.

Derek

What an awesome animation, it's fantastic (and rare) to see deep sky objects in action. And you've done a great job keeping the background consistent. Thanks for your dedication!

PS:Is it me, or does a new object appear in the 3rd frame, due left of Barnard's? Could be a hot pixel I guess (or dust on your scanner if it's film!)

Thank you very much everyone :)

Martin - I'm not sure why it moves so fast but I would guess it has been given a gravitational 'shove' in some distant event.

TJ - yes I did submit this to APOD in 2007 but no luck!

I'll have to check the appearance of the hot pixel and check which frame is responsible. The background is a fairly stable because of the way I overlaid each frame in PS lighten mode and the earlier frames were a much smaller field. Net result is that much of the background is from 2007.

As long as I'm here I'll keep going :(

Thanks again!

Rob.

Great project.

I've noticed one or two of my DSO images where one or more of the stars is in a slightly different position from historic images, so there are plenty which have measurable movement.

Of course, one of the reasons Barnard's Star is moving so fast is that its so darn close (only 6 light years away). Presumably Alpha and Proxima Centauri have fast proper motions too.

Archived