Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The TAL 200K Has Arrived

The TAL 200K that I bought for £299.00 from Telescope Outlet yesterday has arrived. :) Good service or what?

It's exactly as described. The optics look perfect. One of the tube rings has a stripped thread that stops the thumbscrew from tightening up properly. I've put a nut on the thumbscrew for now, and I've ordered a couple of new thumbscrews with a larger thread from WDS Ltd. to replace them. While there were some marks on the tube, a good polish got rid of all of them except for two very tiny chips and one tiny faint scuff mark. Fortunately these little marks are hidden under the tube rings. :( The TAL finder is in good order as are the 10mm and 25mm SkyWatcher Super Plossls that came with it.

I was thinking of getting a C9.25 later on, which would be mainly for lunar / planetary observing, but when the TAL came up at that price I couldn't say no and even if I changed my mind later on and did go for the C9.25 I'd easily be able to get my money back on the 200K. Although from the reading I've done the TAL's lunar / planetary performance is so good I might not want to.

It fits nicely on the Skytee 2 mount and the OTA can be pushed around with a fingertip when not using the slo-mo controls. Handles the 12Kg weight of the OTA with no effort at all and feels very stable. Yes it looks like a TAL 200K can be a grab'n'go set-up after all. Now all I need is for the clouds to stay away so I can see if the optics are as good as they look.

John

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a Cracker :)

I was impressed with their service as well.. my scope arrived just before midday despite me ordering it "after" the normal shipping deadline :(

Had a more frustrating day with their main shop today though... and gave up until tomorrow inthe end...

Peter...

If you've got any flocking paper(not much needed), there are a few places that could do with a mod, which will improve contrast. Highly recommended.

There should be a thread regarding it in the Tal Users Group, somewhere.

Andy

That was a quick delivery.

Oooh, another early one. What's the serial number?

I used mine, for a year or so, on the Swiss made W.O. EZTouch, to good effect.

Andy.

Serial No: 0022 2002r

Pleased with the scope except for the focuser, but I already knew that the focuser was the scopes weakest point. I do have an SCT Crayford (picked up second hand with the intention of fitting to a C9.25 eventually) that could be fitted if I get the 200K SCT adaptor plate. However I've also heard that you need to move the primary mirror forward by 2mm to gain the necessary in-focus.

John

I can vouch for how good these scopes are John :( Great buy and look forward to the first light report!

SPACEBOY

P.S I had 0017 2002

I can vouch for how good these scopes are John :) Great buy and look forward to the first light report!

RAWHEAD

P.S I have 0017 2002 :)

The thumbscrews have now been replaced by some black steel wingscrews purchased from WDS Ltd. Simple matter of drilling out the boltholes in the rings and tapping to M10. I think the new wingscrews really suit the TAL as they have that "TAL" look about them. Lot easier to tighten up as well.

While the TAL finder may be great optically, it's still straight through with an inverted image. As I had a 9x50 RA erect image finder handy I made up a new mount for it. I cut a small square plate from some thick carbon fibre sheet that fits into the TAL finder base. Then a standard Synta type foot was bolted to the CF plate. So now I can use any Synta type finder bracket or just put the TAL finder back.

John

John,

I'm not quite sure how to put this but it clashes with your superb lawn and flowerbeds.

Purely out of the goodness of my heart and to save you from being mocked by your neighbours, I am willing to bid a whole ten pounds sterling, allowing you to buy the wife a reasonable box of chocolates. As you'll be wishing to remove this abomination from your premises as soon as possible, pm me and I'll let you know what train to meet with the "brown paper parcel".

Archived