Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you prefer Stellarium or Cartes Du Ciel?

Simms

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CdC on my Net Book, Stellarium on my Mac Book Pro.

CdD is definitely better from a technical perspective but Stellarium is far prettier and I like the scope view to simulate what you might see in the eyepiece.

Just my 2d worth (that's old money for those born after 1971!).

Paul

I run both stellarium and CdC as well as starry night pro. I use starry night for teaching and I give copies of stellarium and CdC to my students for use on their personal computers. Stellarium gives them nice views but they use CdC to carry out my assignments about building planetaria for specific time and dates.

I paid good money for TheSkyV6 - good program but....

I needed to make use of the USNO star catalogues (down to 18mag) and SB wnated me to pay $200 to upgrade just to be able to add the catalogue! No way.

Went to CdC V3 and it works with every and any catalogue!! Majic.

Use it to control the NEQ6pro etc and it interfaces nicely with AstroPlannerV2.

What more could you ask for???

I used to use Stellarium pretty much every night until I changed laptops......I now cannot get Stellarium to open up on my laptop so have started using cdc. Stellarium seems more user friendly but I am enjoying cdc.

CdC is my favourite software for referencing objects, what i will say it's layout very much reminds me of SkyMap. I do like Stellarium though for it's animated views of the nights sky, but thats about it.

I was using Stellarium for long time, but then I have started AP and I couldnt get Stellarium to work with EQMOD. CdC recognized my mount without any problem. CdC is much harder to navigate and looks old fashion. If I could connect my scope through Stellarium I would be still using it.

adam

Re. CDC Panning: Would the ARROW keys work for you? With a "Wheel" mouse, I can e.g. click on the wheel (third / centre button) and drag the display. Can also shift/left-click and drag? Not entirely "convinced", but... :)

Middle click and hold would work

If you are looking for a user friendly planetarium software, Stellarium is the one.

But, Cartes Du Ciel, has got some pluses, like Surface brightness and more useful information about what you are actually seeing.

I was using Stellarium for long time, but then I have started AP and I couldnt get Stellarium to work with EQMOD. CdC recognized my mount without any problem. CdC is much harder to navigate and looks old fashion. If I could connect my scope through Stellarium I would be still using it.

adam

Hey Bamus, Where can I get this sort of weather station in you signature at the bottom of your posts?

cheers

Both! Stellarium is so good to show cubs/scouts/guides/newbies, etc, really looks like the sky, pans so easily, planetary images, moons zooming round Jupiter, etc, etc.

However, if I'm planning an imaging session then CdC is so detailed, frames (I've done central cross hairs in the frame as well), nebula outlines, etc. Just wish it had the panning / zooming ease of use of Stellarium....but that's been said about 50 times on this thread already. :-)

For those having trouble with text display on Stellarium try editing the shortcut (right-mouse click on short cut icon) to safe mode (note your .exe path might differ the "safe-mode" parameter is the important bit.)

"C:\Program Files\Stellarium\stellarium.exe" --safe-mode

runs without OpenGL2 - it solved my text display problems.

• 4 months later...

Archived