Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you prefer Stellarium or Cartes Du Ciel?

Simms

I started off with Stellarium and found it great - its certainly prettier - but on the off chance I downloaded Cartes Du Ciel the other day and was blown away by the functionality of it - sure, Stellarium is much prettier to look at, but the CdC just seems to lay out the info a lot clearer and seems a bit more `hardcore`. Does anyone here use both and if so whats your preference?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't for the life of me work with CDC. I find it so awkward to navigate and notice my PC struggles with it for some reason. Stellerium although lacking the features of CDC is so much more user friendly and pleasant on the eyes.

CduC gets more use with me almost purely for it's excellent calendar function, all the info you need and then some! In fact I have that as a seperate shortcut on my desktop. Stellarium is great for a quick look and getting my visual bearings. Like a lot of stuff, both have their weaknesses and strengths :).

Tony..

Stellarium had a very annoying bug for me - the text kept going all wierd. Followed most of the fixes but in the end stopped using it.

Tried Starrynight but obviously that is payware.

CdC is the next thing I will be checking out...

I downloaded both and ran both side by side for some time but eventally found I used Stellarium more and more. I find the Stellarium interface easier to navigate and it does all I want it to. I guess its just a case of what you're comfortable with.

I use Stellarium mostly. I downloaded CdC with the intention of making finder maps, but it is not happy running on my PC and I don't find it very easy to get on with.

I might yet persevere but I will do a re-install first and see if that fixes the bugs.

You can't yet (other than print screen), there is a Print Sky plugin under development by Pep Pujols and you can download a test build of Stellarium that incorporates it, but by all accounts it is still buggy.

I love Stellarium for quickly checking things like, DSO positions in regard to my garden, positions of Jovian moons etc, and satellite/comet tracking.

But for running my kit I use Hallo Northern Sky, a real bare bones planetarium app which uses very little resources.

I do have CdC somewhere, never used it though.

Archived