Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Eclipse: 15th June

Telrad

I'm looking forward to the eclipse at moonrise (21:00 BST) when the moon moves into earth's shadow on the 15th. The red colour of a lunar eclipse is due to the earth's atmosphere scattering light blue and refracting red light onto the shadowed surface of the moon :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A fantastic concept isn't it? I cannot wait and hopefully for the first time, I will get a shot of it too. Please please please cloud don't be annoying.

Absolutely Adz. I would deplore the clouds rolling in to spoil it on Wednesday! :)

A fantastic concept isn't it? I cannot wait and hopefully for the first time, I will get a shot of it too. Please please please cloud don't be annoying.

You'll be alright if you stay away from me, as its my birthday and the clouds just follow me around all day:(

Isn't a full moon too? That can't come around all too often...

That is meant as a joke, yes? It's just that a few newcomers might not realise that a lunar eclipse can ONLY occur at full moon.

I really would like to see this but looking at the forecast I'm not so sure, plus I don't know if I will have my new camera by then. And if by some miracle it's clear and I can get out we are still on edge as our second kid is due this week, it could be anytime.

A nice bit of astronomy may help to take the mind off of things for a brief moment.

A few of us in Wiltshire will hopefully be watching the eclipse of the moon from West Kennet Long Barrow, assuming the clouds hold off? A couple of my neighbours will be coming with me, in the pass we had planned sessions but the weather has beaten us everytime. Hopefully the weather will not beat them this time?

Peter

I really would like to see this but looking at the forecast I'm not so sure, plus I don't know if I will have my new camera by then. And if by some miracle it's clear and I can get out we are still on edge as our second kid is due this week, it could be anytime.

A nice bit of astronomy may help to take the mind off of things for a brief moment.

It's looking really promising down here in Surrey. The clouds are rolling away, and it's a lot better and brighter..but saying that - it is the weather!

I hope we all get to see the eclipse under clear skies!... All the best!

Good luck

:)

That is meant as a joke, yes? It's just that a few newcomers might not realise that a lunar eclipse can ONLY occur at full moon.

It's amazing the number of people that think the phases of the moon are caused by the earth's shadow! I was speaking to one such person this week. The same people wonder why you never see a thin crescent moon at midnight!:)

Well, you folks in the UK have this one to yourselves - No one in the USA will see it at all. We also missed the ideal one last winter solstice, because we had rain for a week before, during, and a week after the event. :)

Dan

Archived