Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Telrad

Lunar Eclipse: 15th June

I'm looking forward to the eclipse at moonrise (21:00 BST) when the moon moves into earth's shadow on the 15th. The red colour of a lunar eclipse is due to the earth's atmosphere scattering light blue and refracting red light onto the shadowed surface of the moon :)

A fantastic concept isn't it? I cannot wait and hopefully for the first time, I will get a shot of it too. Please please please cloud don't be annoying.

A fantastic concept isn't it? I cannot wait and hopefully for the first time, I will get a shot of it too. Please please please cloud don't be annoying.

Absolutely Adz. I would deplore the clouds rolling in to spoil it on Wednesday! :)

Yes I am hoping to view this eclipse. The Moon should be total when it rises above the horizon about 9.30pm (UK time). The end of total eclipse is about 10pm and the Moon leaves umbra about 11pm.

Lets hope it stays clear.

Mark

Edited by MarkC

You'll be alright if you stay away from me, as its my birthday and the clouds just follow me around all day:(

You'll be alright if you stay away from me, as its my birthday and the clouds just follow me around all day:(

What a cool thing to have for it, many happy birthday wishes :)

...the eclipse will be deeply ingrained in your memory forever, as it would be your birthday too. Many happy returns in advance Starlight! :)

I'm flying home on eclipse night, should be clear at 38Kft. :icon_eek:.

You're very lucky. That's a front seat view! :)

Isn't a full moon too? That can't come around all too often...

Sitting in the Belt of Venus. It's almost like a mirror image of the lunar eclipse of what occured on the 21st December 2010.

Edited by Telrad

Yup I just double checked it, Lunar eclipse on the lowest full moon of the year!

Im really looking forward to seeing the lunar eclipse this wednesday! Im crossing my fingers its not cloudy as i've never seen one before :)

Isn't a full moon too? That can't come around all too often...

That is meant as a joke, yes? It's just that a few newcomers might not realise that a lunar eclipse can ONLY occur at full moon.

Edited by lukebl

Adz must of made an error. :)

Like I said, It's almost like a mirror image of the lunar eclipse last year! :)

I really would like to see this but looking at the forecast I'm not so sure, plus I don't know if I will have my new camera by then. And if by some miracle it's clear and I can get out we are still on edge as our second kid is due this week, it could be anytime.

A nice bit of astronomy may help to take the mind off of things for a brief moment.

A few of us in Wiltshire will hopefully be watching the eclipse of the moon from West Kennet Long Barrow, assuming the clouds hold off? A couple of my neighbours will be coming with me, in the pass we had planned sessions but the weather has beaten us everytime. Hopefully the weather will not beat them this time?

Peter

I really would like to see this but looking at the forecast I'm not so sure, plus I don't know if I will have my new camera by then. And if by some miracle it's clear and I can get out we are still on edge as our second kid is due this week, it could be anytime.

A nice bit of astronomy may help to take the mind off of things for a brief moment.

It's looking really promising down here in Surrey. The clouds are rolling away, and it's a lot better and brighter..but saying that - it is the weather!

I hope we all get to see the eclipse under clear skies!... All the best!

Good luck

:)

Edited by Telrad

Ha it was a joke yes, it is what I am currently learning about in my course :)

That is meant as a joke, yes? It's just that a few newcomers might not realise that a lunar eclipse can ONLY occur at full moon.

It's amazing the number of people that think the phases of the moon are caused by the earth's shadow! I was speaking to one such person this week. The same people wonder why you never see a thin crescent moon at midnight!:)

Hmm. Forecast doesn't look too good where I am. BBC says "white cloud".

Well, you folks in the UK have this one to yourselves - No one in the USA will see it at all. We also missed the ideal one last winter solstice, because we had rain for a week before, during, and a week after the event. :)

Dan