SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar Eclipse: 15th June

Telrad

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello the Cornwall A.S are having an observing evening to hopefully watch the lunar eclipse at the Goonhilly Earth Station on the Lizard Peninsular. Looking at the forecast it will be touch and go for clear skies on the night. (cloud and rain forecast)

Regards Russell member of the C.A.S.

Well, you folks in the UK have this one to yourselves - No one in the USA will see it at all. We also missed the ideal one last winter solstice, because we had rain for a week before, during, and a week after the event. :)

Dan

Dan, I feel sorry for you over there. 2012 and 2013 will be a total washout for lunar eclipses for you guys in the states; a few partials, and several penumbral eclipses that you would need special instruments to detect. Cheer up! The best lunar eclipse in the near future will be on April 15, 2014 for you in California, you'll will be IDEALLY situated to have a GREAT view. All you can do now is hope for good weather! (which wouldn't be too difficult in California) :)

All the best Dan! ;)

It's amazing the number of people that think the phases of the moon are caused by the earth's shadow! I was speaking to one such person this week. The same people wonder why you never see a thin crescent moon at midnight!;)

There was actually a poster at the Cheltenham Science Festival last week that stated lunar phases are because of the Earth's shadow :) It wasn't a joke. I suppose the lucky thing is that today's kids wouldn't have 'read' the poster anyway, but if they got that wrong, what else could have been wrong on the other posters :)

I'm hoping to see it, and I'd love to get a couple of images of it... but my Western horizon is rubbish, and I can't go anywhere to get a decent horizon either.

Happy Birthday Starlight1... this is the day before mine too...we can but hope.

I have been looking forward to this for weeks, I should be able to see the whole eclipse from here (UTC +3 and this time of year it is always clear).

I will be ready with my scope and camera. I will post some images of the start here if I can.

Alan, Thanks for posting this link. The times as stated in that article are:

Partial eclipse begins: 18:23 (UT)

Total eclipse begins: 19:23 UT

Greatest eclipse: 20:13 UT

Total eclipse ends: 21:03 UT

Partial eclipse ends: 22:02 UT

It's going to be electrifying! Can't wait..

The weather should be good - fingers crossed:happy7:

Alan, Thanks for posting this link. The times as stated in that article are:

Partial eclipse begins: 18:23 (UT)

Total eclipse begins: 19:23 UT

Greatest eclipse: 20:13 UT

Total eclipse ends: 21:03 UT

Partial eclipse ends: 22:02 UT

It's going to be electrifying! Can't wait..

The weather should be good - fingers crossed:happy7:

No probs. I am hoping it may stay clear here I am lucky to be 5 mins from a very flat horizon in all directions :)

So guys, a day to go. What are your plans? Will you watch the eclipse from your backyards, go as far from city lights as possible, search for a high hill or what? :)

Thelonious, :) I'm going to watch it in the garden with my family, who are equally as excited:bino2:!

I just had a scout around my property, the moon looks great tonight. Unfortunately it's behind treess. Grrr... I have no visible horizon once the leaves come back on the trees.

It should be clearing them soon but I will have to go looking tomorrow for a horizon view if I wan't to catch the rise as well. Weather permitting of course.

Archived