Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath Autumn Star Party

On a whim I just bought 3 nights pitch at Kelling Heath for the Sep Star Party. I've never been to one, and Peak Star Party in October was supposed to be my first one.

However this pitch came up in UKABS, and I've read somewhere that Kelling Heath is one of Europe's biggest Star Party?

Is that true? Did just committed myself to a 6 hrs drive round trip for nothing?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did just committed myself to a 6 hrs drive round trip for nothing?

I had a 7hr drive one way and only stayed one night but still worth it. Just not sure i could face that again.

You'll love it... There is a group from SGL (EMS) that all book together, there is a group of others (myself and some other mods and Admin) that book together down the bottom of the blue field.

It's a blast - you'll love it. Make sure that you come and see us though.

Ant

You'll love it... There is a group from SGL (EMS) that all book together, there is a group of others (myself and some other mods and Admin) that book together down the bottom of the blue field.

It's a blast - you'll love it. Make sure that you come and see us though.

Ant

Thanks a lot for all the comments very comforting.

I am in pitch T306 Red Field it says, I'll look you up for sure - bottom of blue field, got it.

Thanks a lot for all the comments very comforting.

I am in pitch T306 Red Field it says, I'll look you up for sure - bottom of blue field, got it.

Oh and bring a cup (or better still you can buy an SGL one there) we have a tea/coffee tent with (strangely) tea, coffee, milk etc... and there is usually a supply of jaffa cakes as well - although they do not last long :)

Ant

I will be doing my usual webpage with pitch numbers, names and mugshots for Kelling... might as well start today I guess :)

Steve,

Steve Wright and I will be on Pitch 161 (Yellow).

Dave

It's just took me forever to find my confirmation, Pitch Blue T222 Arriving Friday for 3 crystal clear rainless nights.

Obviously not an easy enough pitch number to remember!

See everyone there!

I'm on T328 Red field, I'm coming of my own this time, so please come and say hello. Hopefully there will be some other people there I know as well. All my group keep booking for April and I wanted to image the Autumn deep sky.

Carole

Hey Perry - you're one pitch away from us in the same street - we'll be on T304 Red field - it's a great star party that we've been going to spring and autumn for the last 3 years. You'll love it!! Have a quick look at this thread from last springs event:

http://stargazerslounge.com/star-parties/128206-kelling-heath-spring-2011-chat-thread.html

There's a brief intro to the site and facilities, and a useful guide for first time newbies about star party etiquette. Also you'll find several useful links throughout the thread and get a flavour of the fun of the occasion. I'll be starting a similar thread closer to the autumn event

Make sure you drop by our pitch and say hi :)

Hey Perry - you're one pitch away from us in the same street - we'll be on T304 Red field - it's a great star party that we've been going to spring and autumn for the last 3 years. You'll love it!!

Make sure you drop by our pitch and say hi :)

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that!

I'm on T328 Red field, I'm coming of my own this time, so please come and say hello. Hopefully there will be some other people there I know as well.

Carole

Hiya Carole, Trish and I will be there, will have to dig out our Pitch No. We will defo come and say hello.

I'm on T328 Red field, I'm coming of my own this time, so please come and say hello. Hopefully there will be some other people there I know as well. All my group keep booking for April and I wanted to image the Autumn deep sky.

Carole

Hi Carole,

I will be pitching up on my own too in the red field so I hope to pop along and say Hi .. Cant remember my pitch number I guess its somewhere in my emails..! and Wobbly Bob will look out for you too! Last time we met up was at Cressing Temple! Quite a few coming from the North Essex Society- All spread out around the fields!

Are there any places left for me to book for this star party? I would like to come to my first one sometime and it isn't too far away from me.

Or should I just hope for something to come up second hand like the thread poster?

Could I just turn up one night and say hello to a few people and maybe bring my eyepieces?

Are there any places left for me to book for this star party? I would like to come to my first one sometime and it isn't too far away from me.

Or should I just hope for something to come up second hand like the thread poster?

Hi Adz,

The pitches are all booked up, that's why when a pitch came up, with no markup even, I just went for it.

You could put a wanted ad, I've seen a few of those around.

Could I just turn up one night and say hello

I think you can come in as a visitor (no car lights near the Astro fields though and torches have to be red or covered in red film etc).

Thanks Bob and Altair, look forward to seeing you there too.

Carole

Adam - First time we went was just for a scout around and a recce. We ended up sleeping in the car in the carpark lol. Folks were so friendly though - we wondered round during the day talking to folks who invited us back after dark for a look through their scopes. So if you live nearby it would be a crime to miss it. Plus you never know - a pitch might come up in the meantime :)

Archived