Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath Autumn Star Party

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
theres no pitches left for me :)

A pitch has come up again on UK Astro Buy Sell.

So you just need to monitor that site. Use Followthatpage.com if you want hourly check of new ads (daily is not enough - popular stuff don't last that long!)

I'll be there... Yellow 163 (wasn't many pitches in the 'good' fields left when I booked back in March) :-)

Already drawing up the list of imaging targets (though have now sold my beloved Meade 127mm so it'll just be big nebulae this time, oh, and M31 and 33)... though I may need to borrow a few square foot of space on someone else's pitch to image from as, having looked at mine when up there in the spring, it's close to some pretty darn tall trees and the main road in and out of the site!

Really looking forward to it!!! Must make an effort though to go find and say hi to more people this time... Carole, might join you on the SGL social-walk-around again :-)

Ben

Agreed, you'll love it! But do take some time to read the etiquette guides, will save you some embarrassment.

My family and I will be in the red field prior to, during, and after the SP, not far from where you are, see you there maybe :)

Tim

theres no pitches left for me :)

There is always loads of space, no matter what they say. If all else fails, contact the society that organizes the SP, they usually block book a run of pitches and usually have empty ones. And they are usually in the best position too!

There is always loads of space, no matter what they say. If all else fails, contact the society that organizes the SP, they usually block book a run of pitches and usually have empty ones. And they are usually in the best position too!

Not according to the website: all bookings to Kelling Heath instead of the organizer.

Perry - you can often get in by sharing with a group as TJ suggests. Also there are often spare pitches where people just didn't turn up due to last minute problems and didn't have time to cancel or sell on.

Try Loughton Astro Soc who organise the event - they may be able to help. If not - pm me and I'll see if I can do any thing for you. :)

Sure thing Ben. You're also welcome to put your imaging kit on my pitch if you have problems.

328 in the Red field.

Carole

Cheers Carole.... might have to take you up on the pitch borrowing :-)

My pitch is right over against the main entrance road and there are (iirc) a huge bank of tall connifers or pines along the other side of the road that will significantly block a big area of sky. Will try and work out where things will be when I get there... I already have a list of what I want to image :-)

Ben

Thurs - Sun, Blue Field, next to you Steve ;)

All our welcome to come to the tea tent and have a cuppa on us :D

Perhaps we could organise a "tea-and-cake-meet-and-greet" on the Saturday??

This one sounds to be very popular. So much so that I didn't even see a date in September or where to try and book. Norfolk is only 3 hours rather than 5 for Hereford.

Never mind, SGL7 here we come!

Now found it via starparty.org. Pity, I'm away sailing that weekend in a racing regatta.

It's VEEEry dark - don't forget your red torch!

Weather has been pretty good the last couple of years -it's great but hang on to your cards - there's some lovely stuff on show.

Sure you will have a great time.

I think it is a case of one or the other. In the area with the trees, it`s sheltered from the wind. Where I was in April at the other end we had a good all round view but were exposed to the strong wind ( fri night) which disturbed the telescope.

Cheers Carole.... might have to take you up on the pitch borrowing :-)

My pitch is right over against the main entrance road and there are (iirc) a huge bank of tall connifers or pines along the other side of the road that will significantly block a big area of sky. Will try and work out where things will be when I get there... I already have a list of what I want to image :-)

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

never been before think i might go to the spring 2012 one, when i get my new scope so i dont have to bring my 3" reflector(emmbarassing), would like to bring my missis but she finds looking up hurts her neck lol

As luck would have it, I have a friend that apparently works at Kelling :)

So I should be able to make it, even if things are booked up yippie! Melibum there is a slim chance I could organise something with him for you as well.

How on earth am I going to know who to say hello to from the forum!?

And will anyone have any refractors I could have a look through? ;)

How on earth am I going to know who to say hello to from the forum!?

There will be a mugshot thread created on here so people can submit pics of themselves and say which pitch they will be on and which days they will be attending. I`ll take all this and create a webpage with all the info on, which you can save/print.... I see a LOT of people wandering around the kelling Autumn event with a printout of the mugshot page in their hands :)

Archived