Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6960: Veil Nebula in narrowband

Uranium235

Last night was another clear one, though a little warm. I was completely overdressed for the occasion and ended up getting into a bit of a sweat...lol. no more need for padded jackets and wooly hats!

I used every minute of available darkness for this one, which was barely over 3 hours before the sun started coming up at about 2.45am - by which time I was shattered anyway becuase it was my 2nd late night in a row.

Had a choice of whether to do a 2 pane mosaic with the 150P, or try and grab it all with the ED80 plus the 0.85x FR. Anyways, I decided on the ED80, and im glad I chose it. One thing though, I wish the focuser was better on the ED80. Every time I tighten up the locking bolt the focus shifts. So if im going to get a new fraccy, one of the requirements will be that its focuser doesnt shift on locking.

Same as with the Crescent, it completely battered last years effort with the 1000d. Another victory for the 314L+ :)

NGC6960: Veil Nebula (western section)

9x600(Ha), 9x600(OIII)

ED80 (0.85 FF/FR), Atik314L+, CG5 GT

Setpoint -10

Guiding: Good, 1 dropped sub (backlash)

Thanks for looking! :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=60169&stc=1&d=1307201044

post-18171-133877613113_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys :)

That shade of blue wasnt intended, it seems to be the product of combining individual RGB panes using noels actions. When I put it all back together in PS, it was quite a bit different from the one I had in Maxim, which was more of a deeper blue. Not that im complaining :(

Martin, youre a bit brave to be trying a mosaic at this time of year! I will add more if I get the chance in the next week or so. But if not I will take a rest for a few weeks until the darkness starts to return.

Thanks guys :)

That shade of blue wasnt intended, it seems to be the product of combining individual RGB panes using noels actions. When I put it all back together in PS, it was quite a bit different from the one I had in Maxim, which was more of a deeper blue. Not that im complaining :(

Martin, youre a bit brave to be trying a mosaic at this time of year! I will add more if I get the chance in the next week or so. But if not I will take a rest for a few weeks until the darkness starts to return.

Plenty of time - a couple of hours a night...long time till winter dark.

fabulous image... lovely colour and smooth, nice tight stars too :)

Thanks Guy, the olde Coffee Grinder 5 seems to be rather content at the moment so the guiding has been pretty much bang-on (even with the 150P). I dont think I will be messing with the worm gear again for quite some time :(

Cheers Andy/John. If I get the opportunity to add more I will. Especially in Ha becuase I know at leat two of those subs were shot through thin cloud, another hour per channel should crispen things up nicely :)

Splendid image. A delight.

I have yet to find a scope whose focus lock had no effect whatever on focus so a nice stiff rack and pinion which does not need a lock is my own favourite.

Olly

Cheers Olly :)

Hmmm, I would have thought a more expensive focuser would eliminate the focus shift on locking. Its not too big a deal, but it would speed up the focusing a bit if I were able to nail it first time every time. The way I try to get round it now is to get it close, then lock it. Then (hopefully) it shifts into perfect focus.

I wonder how those fancy WO DDG focusers would perform?

JohnB, like was said just it will depend on your focal length and type of telescope used.

This is what I got last year with the modded 1000d and ye olde Skywatcher 150P:

lol.... coma hell

40893d1282243536-final-veil-nebula-veil_nebula_130min_s.jpg

Thanks Kevin :icon_eek:

Im pretty pleased with it, but some credit has to go to the 314L+ really. I cant ever imagine letting go of it, and I now fully understand why people rave on about the 285 chip. But come July/August I will add a lot more and see how deep I can go - as well as a bash at the eastern section.... cant wait :)

Well done, lovely smooth pic. As for focising shifts, maybe go for a motorised one if you'll change it, or semi tighen down the lock nut when focussing, that might make focus adjustments a little stiff, but it should hold in place once you're happy with the focus.

Tom.

Archived