Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Halley's comet 2061

Daniel-K

Good luck!

I saw it at the last visit, and it's a depressing thought that I won't be around for the next one. Thanks for reminding me.

My dad say Halley's at its first appearance in the 20th Century but didn't live to see its second. He used to recite verse that started . . .

Have you heard of Halley's Comet

With the tail protruding from it

Oh it really is a . . . .

I wonder if anyone here has ever heard that rhyme.

If Halley's is anything like it's last visit to the sun, I wouldn't hold your breath. It was a damp squib.

No one alive today will see Hyukutake, or Hale Bopp return unfortunately.

Now they were a spectacle. Magnifico!

Ron.

I saw Halley's in 1986 - fortunately I had my 1st proper scope then (6" newtonian) otherwise it would have been a total disappointment.

If I'm still around I'll be 101 when it comes again - it's going to have to put on a much better show than it did in 1986 if I'm going to be able to see it then !.

John, I have done the maths and reckon you'll be 71 when it comes around!:D

I most definitely won't be here to see it and I wonder with the effects of global warming what the likely weather conditions will be to view it in 2061? If it's in Britain, it will certainly be cloudy!:p:D

James

i saw Halley's comet in 86 and thought it was amazing,its the reason why i love astronomy!

as for being a damp squib,i agree visually it wasn't the best. but to see an object that has been observed for nearly a thousand years or possibly even longer is truly incredible!

as for seeing it again i will be 95 and the eyesight is bad enough now :D

I remember Halleys last visit, I was 18 at the time, me and my Dad watched it with his bins was the first time he pointed out the Pleiades to me and I've had a sort spot for them since.

So no Halleys for me again, comet Hill is passing Polaris at the moment though, will have to settle for that.

Archived