Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good offer on dual speed Crayford

Moonshane

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well worth it in my view, especially at this price. I have this one (or the Antares one anyway) on my 6" planetary and it's a really well built unit. I had the Skywatcher one (twice the price) and prefer the Antares one as it seems more stable.

Yes further to Spaceboy's post, I bought one of these a few weeks ago - and not for the price shown in the link :-(. I bought a base plate from Teleskop Service to fit my 6" SW Newt. It did not fit the focuser, the internal diameter of the base plate is 78mm instead of the required 80mm.

I noticed that the advert says that the focuser on offer is for 9" and larger newts. I take it that means that the base concavity is too shallow for an 8" scope. That then caused me to google for 8" newt focusers of the Crayford type. I found several in the $175-$200 range. I found one made of aluminum (FOC2L) for only $50.

How does one assess the quality of a focuser? I guess that it should accommodate both 1.25" and 2.00" ep's and that it should have good metal machining - especially in the gears.

I have no clue about any other attributes to consider when shopping. Could someone enlighten me? How much travel distance should the gears allow? Does it matter?

Enquiring minds want to know. (Or should that "definitely" be "inquiring"?) :D

[ We need a 'fleeing' animated smiley. ]

I noticed that the advert says that the focuser on offer is for 9" and larger newts. I take it that means that the base concavity is too shallow for an 8" scope.

Actually most 8" 'scopes have a tube diameter of around 9 inches, it is the mirror that is 8" and the rest is made up by the gap between the mirror cell and the tube I believe. Anyway this focuser fits my 8" tube just fine so I assume it would be okay on yours as well :D

Poo. Not long after I've ordered one from the US, the price drops here. My total price from the US was less than the original cost + shipping from the UK. This price is lower than what I paid.

Ah well! I was happy to pay what I paid, so I'm not put out too much.

70mm rings a bell i think Andrew. But can't confirm as i've sold the 12" dob with the focuser on.

And now i'm hovering over the Buy button for another one for the 250PX.

Hi Andrew

the spacing on the supplies bracket is 55mm across the short side and 90mm across the long side. the short sides are in line with the tube and the long sides span the curve.

as long as the bracket spacing is wider than the current spacing on the tube I am generally happy as drilling holes is no bother to me when the focuser will be on the OTA for good.

My revelation focuser almost fell through the hole the standard crayford left in my OTA.(2010 Skyliner 250PX & 2011 Explorer 200p) The problem is the plate that fits to the OTA is too short width wise so a larger plate is needed to cover the hole.

My revelation focuser almost fell through the hole the standard crayford left in my OTA.(2010 Skyliner 250PX & 2011 Explorer 200p) The problem is the plate that fits to the OTA is too short width wise so a larger plate is needed to cover the hole.

That's what worried me and why i've held off buying another. :D

Hi Andrew

the spacing on the supplies bracket is 55mm across the short side and 90mm across the long side. the short sides are in line with the tube and the long sides span the curve.

as long as the bracket spacing is wider than the current spacing on the tube I am generally happy as drilling holes is no bother to me when the focuser will be on the OTA for good.

Thanks Shane,

Bother, no good :D

Where do you get additional baseplates?

Ask FLO if they can supply the wider Skywatcher base-plate. It's the one they ship with the Skywatcher low profile focuser. I have fitted two Revelation focusers to Skywatcher dobs using the wide base-plate.

Photo of 200P + Revelation crayford + Skywatcher wide base-plate

John

Archived