Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North facing house ?

jmurray01

We moved house about 2 months ago, and I was just wondering a few days ago... What direction does it face!

I think it faces North, but wanted to double check, and knew the perfect way to do so!

About three days ago I saw Sirius flickering in the night sky, but where would Sirius be in the night sky at around 1-2AM in the North-East of Scotland ?

If you can answer that for me I'll know where my house faces!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Moon is South now, but I think most UK citizens maybe in bed at 0146.

The Moon does look magnificent tonight, moving amongst the clouds, lighting up the night sky, almost willing the clouds to part.

Also, all Sky Satellite dishes face approx 19 degrees south in the UK.

You are mistaken my friend, Sirius sets by 10pm this time of year. In north east Scotland or any part there of or indeed the whole British Isles. When it is visible it tracks the south of our skies. You saw another star, one as you have now established in a northerly direction.

Barry

The Moon is South now, but I think most UK citizens maybe in bed at 0146.

The Moon does look magnificent tonight, moving amongst the clouds, lighting up the night sky, almost willing the clouds to part.

Also, all Sky Satellite dishes face approx 19 degrees south in the UK.

i hate the clouds,but something very wonderfully about the moon flickering in and out of broken clouds

Got any trees in your garden? Chop one down, the bigger the better. The side that faces the equator, and therefore south, will have experienced stronger growth so the rings will be more widely spaced. Compasses are for wimps.

I've got an even better idea. Leave your house by the front door. Proceed to travel in a straight line, using water transport as necessary. When you reach the cold place with the snow and ice, if you see penguins your front garden faces south. If you get eaten by a polar bear, it faces north.

Chopping down trees is for wimps.

I've got an even better idea. Leave your house by the front door. Proceed to travel in a straight line, using water transport as necessary. When you reach the cold place with the snow and ice, if you see penguins your front garden faces south. If you get eaten by a polar bear, it faces north.

Chopping down trees is for wimps.

This had me in stitches :)

Funnily enough I got asked this very question by a client today :(

I've got a great idea, ask the misses which way is due south, go in the front garden with a box of matches at hand and drive a wooden stake into the ground, from the tree you chopped down earlier, and at 1pm if the shadow points towards the house, your back garden is north facing, if the misses was right she must be practising witch craft, back to the stake and box of matches, you know what you have to do.

Fighting polar bears to the death is for wimps.

Archived