Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North facing house ?

jmurray01

Look on the trees, see if there is moss. Moss grows on the north sides of trees.
I've heard that theory has been disproved, so as a buddding pedant I offer you the following, fully plagarised snippet of information :)

In northern latitudes, the north side of trees and rocks will generally have more moss on average than other sides (though south-side outcroppings are not unknown). This is assumed to be because of the lack of sufficient water for reproduction on the sun-facing side of trees. South of the equator the reverse is true. In deep forests where sunlight does not penetrate, mosses grow equally well on all sides of the tree trunk.

Actually, on reflection, I think that proves the theory - DOH!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got an even better idea. Leave your house by the front door. Proceed to travel in a straight line, using water transport as necessary. When you reach the cold place with the snow and ice, if you see penguins your front garden faces south. If you get eaten by a polar bear, it faces north.

Chopping down trees is for wimps.

:) very good. But if it turns out the front garden is facing due East or West he's going to be cursing you for sending him on the mother of all walks.

Archived