Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To infinity and down the road a bit... hello!

Greetings everyone!  :icon_cyclops:

Tomorrow I should receive my first (ever) telescope, the Skyliner 200P, thanks to the very helpful posts here!

I have no idea how I will be explaining the arrival of the child-sized box to my wife tomorrow... but I'm sure my three kids will warm her to this magnificent device and divert the conversation away from the 'ka-ching' £££  :icon_cyclops_ani:

However, we often back-yard gaze and stand in awe at the night sky... and that's without a telescope!

Here's to clear skies and me surviving to see Sunday!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi :), Welcome to the Lounge. 

I have posted this on a number of threads before, to try and give some basic things for a new starter. 
Hope it helps a little.  ;)

Welcome to this fascinating Pastime.  :)

Firstly, I'd get a copy of a good astronomy Guide, something like, ' Turn Left at Orion ' or 'The Backyard Astronomers guide' books like these are invaluable when your starting out.

There are also some great free software, you can get to show you what's in the sky at night. http://www.skymaps.com Is something that you can print off, and is very handy.
There's also some software called 'Stellarium '. http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/
That's great if you have a tablet or phone with you, whilst observing.

The other recommendation is find your nearest. Astro society, and go along, and see what other people have, it's a perfect opportunity to ask questions.  :)http://www.firstligh...om/locator.html

Also have a good read at some of the beginners threads on here, they are very helpful,and may well give you some answers.

A must read is this. Please don't expect to see things , as you would on TV or in magazines. http://stargazerslou...-expect-to-see/

But for now your main objective is. ENJOY YOUR STARGAZING

However, we often back-yard gaze and stand in awe at the night sky... and that's without a telescope!

I reckon you may be all right here, as you all seem to have an interest already it will only enhance your joy of the night sky.  Just show your wife the moon, if that don't work than take cover.  

Greetings everyone!  :icon_cyclops:

Here's to clear skies and me surviving to see Sunday!

Good luck.  Remember the moon is your main target as it will stop your wife killing you..... although the clouds in the UK may postpone the event, maybe hide it until the sky clears :) 

congrats on a very capable scope. It's quite a large child sized box but thats just over packing :)....NOT. Might I suggest you get it straight onto jupiter...That'll divert any financial quibbles for a good while :)

Oh, and welcome to sgl, possibly the single most inportant tool in any astronomers kits :D

Thanks for all the warm wishes, survival tips (will be needing those!) and pointers... you all have a great sense of humour :)

I would reply individually but I'm on my not-so-smart smart phone.

I have some books coming tomorrow also, 'Turn left at Orion...', Collins '2015 Guide to the Night Sky' and a book for my 4 year old son called 'National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space', looks fun ;)

I'm loaded up with Stellarium on my laptop & iPhone, printed out some star maps and with great timing my local Astronomy club in Ipswich has an open evening tomorrow which I shall visit with my son who is 11 (he's very excited) - so I think I'm good to go... if I don't end up under the patio that is :D thanks for the wife-calming tips!

Here's to clear skies... thanks again for the warm welcome! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting yourself a great scope that will not disappoint - did you buy some anti cloud spray when you placed your order?  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting yourself a great scope that will not disappoint - did you buy some anti cloud spray when you placed your order? :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

Ha ha... my wife may well provide plenty of 'huff' to knock a few clouds out tomorrow night :D (she's not that bad.. bless)

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Sorry to add to your problems but you will have 2 large boxes arriving on your doorstep.

Thank you and yes, I just noticed tonight when I saw the despatch email with two tracking numbers  :grin:

Archived