NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

October's one and only image is...

StuartJPP

...M45...Pleiades...same as everybody else.

The simple reason I chose this part of the sky to image was that it was the clearest, most other areas had frequent cloud passing through but for some reason it was mostly clear (by comparison) here. I was up in Scotland so the skies were a lot darker than home (the MW was easily visible), but cloud restricted imaging time (as usual).

I have been trying to process images a bit more subtly recently, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I used my own version of DSLR-LLRGB for this, splitting up into RGB and luminosity really does help to control the noise. It is easier to do noise reduction and sharpen on the luminosity layer than it is on the RGB layer.

As usual a larger version is available by clicking on the image. C&C welcome. Anyway, enough waffle...hope you like and thanks for looking.

24th October 2014
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4
AstroTrac TT320X (unguided)
ISO 800
22x180 second lights (of varying quality)

15467562940_408529da41_b.jpg

M45 - Pleiades or "Seven Sisters" by StuartJPP, on Flickr

Archived