NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Quark and 120mm image

Luke

Here is my first shot taken with my Equinox 120 scope and the Quark with a 0.5x reducer. I stacked about 300 frames from 1700. I had a bit of a false start, though...

14595224673_94f9e4ca9e_c.jpg

14594700753_eec4f055fb_c.jpg

I'd heard a few folks say contrast was low when imaging with their Quark. I hadn't had a problem with contrast with my 60mm and 85mm scopes. But when I tried the Quark with my 120mm scope, contrast was indeed low :shocked: Then I realised my mistake: I'd put the 1.6x Barlow on the camera instead of the 0.5x reducer, quite a difference :grin:

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

I won't be trying F50+ again soon until I have got plenty of 0.5x and prime focus under my belt :rolleyes:

---

Equinox 120, Quark Chromosphere, Grasshopper 3 camera (ICX687), Revelation 0.5x reducer

Here's my second processed image from the Equinox 120, which I took the next day - and I even remembered to put the 0.5 reducer on this time! This is the same region one day on, rotated by about 180 degrees.

I meant to process more shots from the first day, but was stacking some images from Day 2 with the 120, and played around with a stacked image to check it was okay. Before I knew it, it was almost processed!

14577130732_f7daae0941_c.jpg

14575673495_530bc7323a_c.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Brian, when I got into solar, I very nearly sold the Equinox (originally for DSO imaging) as I had the SolarMax. Then we realised it might be good for white light with a Herschel wedge. Doubly just as well we kept it, with the Quark on the scene as well now :)

Stephen, I'd love to see the images you'd make with the Quark! I am just hoping Alexandra doesn't show too many more fancy CaK shots, that is a real weak point for me, and there is just 2p in the astro piggy bank now. I wonder if Daystar might do a CaK Quark?

I am thinking, how cool would it be to shoot h-alpha, white light and CaK, all without taking the scope off the mount (obviously capping the front lens when swapping the gear over).

Johan, your images make me want you to buy a Quark! You'd do such cool stuff with it :)

how cool would it be to shoot h-alpha, white light and CaK, all without taking the scope off the mount

Well I can actually do that now with the ST102 Luke.  Not being an apo it's not so great for white light though.  I can't afford an apo right now I'm afraid, but the ST120 may be tempting to get a bit more resolution with the Quark. :)

Archived