Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

King Kong Saturn..!

Kokatha man

Along with the other Saturn thread I posted yesterday where I posed the question re iR-RGB versus conventional RGB captures and results, I thought I'd have a bit of fun like others and "super-size" the best image - it held up pretty well imho, so I thought I'd put it in here as a bit of extra interest. :grin:

I nick-named it "King Kong" for this thread although I actually gave it the filename suffix "GONZO" as my tribute to such things! B)

Really only a bit of fun - but I hope folks like it!:):p

post-16205-133877555973_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kris, thanks - yes, that is Saturn's moon Dione moving towards the planet's disk in the image.

I only made this super-sized image (approx 55mm measured across the equator) as a bit of a lark.....but it held up surprisingly well considering that I would have rated the seeing as "fairly good" but most certainly not "excellent" or above.....I've had better seeing on 2 seperate occassions this year for Saturn but unfortunately as an "old dog" who's learnt this trade bit-by-bit over the past 2 years, my real advances in both capture and processing now are hard-won and come more slowly.....

On those occassions I used less gamma in capture (which you can't add afterwards to get the benefits of it when used in capture) and slower channel time changeovers.....and I have made some significant discoveries in process applications as well since then .....but I might still reprocess the earlier ones taken in better conditions to see what I can now do with them when I get the time..!:)B)

Thanks Neil, Michael, Chris and James.....dunno what moniker I would put to that James, "Gonzo" seemed so approriate to me for these scales, which is why it's filename is:-

Sat_RGB_020910NTrpGonzoCS4Web.jpg

"King Kong" also kinda appealed when I titled this thread maybe 'cos "Kong" was the name of the 16" GSO I was modifying as my new planetary imaging scope.....but now that I'm getting a really "whiz-bang" scope for that I might have to think of the possibility of "super-dooper sized" planetary images if the seeing presents the opportunities....!:grin::):pB)

.....sorry Michael, I forgot to add it was taken at around f28 using the ol' C11 with a 2x t/vue barlow and the length/distance from barlow to camera via the electric filter wheel and adaptor given it that extra image scale.

The camera is a Flea3 mono which I've had for almost a year now, my C11 is highly modified and I've been using that for a couple of years now - they are great workhorses, but now I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a VX16 f4 16" newt from Orion Optics UK, with certified 1/10pv optics.....:):D:D

Thank you t, Rich, Rauno and d, I reckon perhaps a "godzilla Jupiter" might be contemplated :p:lol:;)

The C11 is certainly no slouch, especially for planetary work, but from what I have learnt the optics of the VX16 will be something else again.....and moving from 11" to 16" is 2.1X the mirror area, so whilst everything is predicated on seeing conditions (unless I tried to image drunk, and then there could be additional compications!?!:grin:B):)) I am hoping for big things from the new scope.....and "baseline" delivery schedule is now 5 to 7 weeks, although with specified optical qualities and other factors it could take considerably longer than that timeframe, so I just have to be patient.....

Hi Darryl,

That is yet another great image, loaded with detail and super smooth appearance .. the time and effort that you have put in to capture and processing has certainly paid off :).

Looks like Oz will be the land of the big OO Newt when your new 16" arrives .. ... I really look forward to seeing some more fantastic images in future from you and JohnH B)

Alan

Thanks Matt and Alan, it was really only a bit of fun though Matt.....I just blew up the Saturn image I had finished processing in CS4 (the one in my other current thread here on SGL) and applied a bit of sharpening & smoothing to the larger scale...I had already resized it up and down a couple of times during the various software processings beforehand.....

If I had started out from scratch with a "Gonzo" image as my objective I think it might have been a tad better.....but on the topic of Alan's comments re the new scope I'm awaiting delivery of, if the seeing presents itself at a still-favourable time during Saturn's curent apparition I have every intention of trying for a really large scale image where detail resolution/clarity and smoothness/aesthetic balance are as good as I can aspire to - hopefully with the Great Storm still raging...and with a perspective of it like in the one above!:)

Like it... Its a excellent image :)

Is that a moon is see near the top

clear skies :grin:

How many like me, viewed image for a second time, then wiped the screen to make sure it wasn't a mark?! B)

Fantastic image, thanks for sharing!

Archived