Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Software to control Cannon 450D

johnb

Hi

I currently use the standard EOS Utility software for focusing and for then taking x number of images at various exposures lengths, this does all work well but im curious to know what other software folk use and if there are any advantages to using different software ?

Regards

John B

I've got APT and Nebulosity 2 - they're both good, but different - Neb2 also includes image calibration and stacking routines...and costs more.

Backyard EOS looks similar to APT but I have no experience of it.

All three offer free trials - so my advice would be "Try before you buy"

Steve

I've got APT and Nebulosity 2 - they're both good, but different - Neb2 also includes image calibration and stacking routines...and costs more.

Backyard EOS looks similar to APT but I have no experience of it.

All three offer free trials - so my advice would be "Try before you buy"

Steve

I have BackyardEOS and I loooove it ~ it's hard to do without once you're tried it. I've been using Neb as well for about 18 months and I prefer BackyardEOS for image capturing. I have not experience with APT.

bob

I've just reloaded EOS Utility onto my new laptop, and am wondering why anyone would use any other program to control their camera.

I tried APT and it just seems a bit unnecessarily clunky and less user-friendly, or am missing something here? Sure, you can set up fancy imaging runs of differing exposures with APT, but when all you need is, say, 30 x 5 minute exposures why use anything other than EOS Utility? The question being, what's wrong with EOS Utility, if anything?

Nothing at all and I still find myself using it on occasions - or earlier versions of APT...

Theres a lot of additional functionality in progarms like APT and BackyardEOS but sometimes I like the simple approach... I often find myself just using timer remotes and beign out there with the kit...

I had started going for more and more automation controlling it all remotely form the warmth of the house whilst chatting online .. but found I was enjoying the hobby less and less...

Now i have the DSLR's on the EQ mount outside the obs whilst babysitting them in a fishing chair with a pair of binos... the obs setup of the 8" SCT and Megrez 72 havent produce a sub this year...

Billy...

I've just reloaded EOS Utility onto my new laptop, and am wondering why anyone would use any other program to control their camera.

I tried APT and it just seems a bit unnecessarily clunky and less user-friendly, or am missing something here? Sure, you can set up fancy imaging runs of differing exposures with APT, but when all you need is, say, 30 x 5 minute exposures why use anything other than EOS Utility? The question being, what's wrong with EOS Utility, if anything?

I use the EOS utility also and it does the job.

If I can get the save path to a Mapped network drive... must tinker.

Sweet it does ! thats one less thing to do.

The canon EOS utility does nothing to help astro-photos,ie stacking, bias etc... whereas Nebulosity is easy to use and you can use Mac or MS. Once you get more sophisticated it easily integrates with PHD for autoguiding. The price of any of the software is minimal compared with the rest of the budget in any event.

I've just started using Backyard EOS - so far just love it.

It's got a 30 day trial, but so far - really good

Me too, BackyardEOS (some call it BYE) has full integration with PHD for automated dithering (something EOS Utility will never be able to do) and the simple/intuative user interface really makes for a pleasant night out. For $24 usd I had nothing to lose compared to the the total cost of the equipement we buy - and the developer behind it is very responsive to user requests.

There is nothing wrong using EOS Utility, but tailor made apps like BackyardEOS makes some of my tasks easier ~ it's a personal preference I guess.

I like to support individuals that go above and beyond to provide tools that makes my(our) lives easier for not much more than price of a few beers :)

bob

Me too, BackyardEOS (some call it BYE) has full integration with PHD for automated dithering

and despite reading the manual twice I still dont actually understand what that really means ?

JohnB

and despite reading the manual twice I still dont actually understand what that really means ?

JohnB

John,

Dithering is a word that can be intimidating at times, and the process of dithering can seem complicated as a result but it really is not.

Think of it this way.

WITH GUIDING and NO DITHERING all of your images will be perfectly aligned with each other, meaning that the signal and noise will be captured by the same location on the camera sensor. When you stack your images you will stack your signal… and your noise. Taking darks will minimize your noise but dithering takes this a bit further.

WITH GUIDING and DITHERING all of your images will NOT be perfectly aligned with each other, meaning that the signal and noise will be captured by DIFFERENT location on the camera sensor. When you stack your images your stacking software will align the stars with each other and stack your images… the result is that the noise is now dispersed and averaging (or other method of stacking) with be way more effective at removing the noise, increasing the signal to noise ratio in your final image in the process.

Does this make sense?

Guylain (Creator of BackyardEOS)

Archived