NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi, from Manchester

B19-71M

Hi there!

I'm Tim, 26 from south Manchester & I'm a complete newbie to astronomy.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good book/site etc.. To get me started on mapping the night sky?

I work nights and have spent countless hours over the years staring to the heavens without the foggiest at what I'm actually looking at, so I decided it's about time I developed a little knowledge and checked out what there is to see :hello2:

My wife has recently ordered a very basic starter scope (Bresser 60/700) for me and any information on how best to use it or where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

T

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tim, and welcome to the Lounge :hello2:

Nice to see another Manc on Board, a book i would recommend , try 'Turn left at Orion', it will certainly start you off in the right direction:D.

Simon

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I've read the reviews & ordered a copy of "Turn left at Orion" as it seems to be just what I'm after, so cheers for the advice Si :hello2:

There's so many books etc it can be a little daunting, especially as I know very little on the subject.

And thanks Kris I've now downloaded a free Stellarium & StarMap3D so these should help get me started.

Archived