Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, from Manchester!

DanHe

Hey everyone, another newbie here.

I'm 20 and live in Stockport (south Manchester). I ended up here whilst looking for info on telescopes and have decided not to get one.... yet! What would be the point if I have no idea what I'm looking at? I ordered a book that I saw recommended on here and am slowly learning my way round the sky, taking my own (rather poor) photos then labeling the constellations and stars etc. Its a good way of learning I find. Hopefully I will get a telescope soon and then I can bother you all with questions about how to use it. :hello2:

Dan.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome! Stockport is where I got my telescope from!

You're quite right in learning how to navigate the sky before investing in a scope. You can actually see quite a lot with the naked eye. I remember the first time I properly looked at the sky at a very dark site near Coniston...I wasn't quite prepared for how impressive it is!

Have you tried using Stellarium? I've found it quite useful in helping me find my way round. =)

Hi Dan

Welcome To SGL :hello2: Thats how i started with a constellation book

& a pair of binoculars this is a great forum you will learn loads from

here full of friendly people good to have another manchester member

on board .

clear skies :hello2:

Yeah I have been in to the telescope shop recently, loads of good stuff in there! They definitely know there stuff.

I will check out Stellarium, thanks. I have been using the sky mode on Google Earth recently which has been pretty good.

keithatrochdale - I will definitely visit in the near future! Didn't expect there to be somewhere so close to the city to go, awesome.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

Its not a bad idea to take your time as there is no need to rush getting any kit until you know what it is you're interested in, and as they say, "...the stars aren't going anywhere". What you might want to do in the meantime is to find a local astro society/club or observing group to see when they are next doing an observation session, in order for you to go along and have a look through some of this kit to see what might meet your expectations. It is also important to get close to some of this kit as it can be a bit bulky and heavy which might be a factor if you need to travel to a dark sight. Apart from anything else, it's also good to meet up with like minded people who can share their knowledge and experience and who can also help you with your kit when you've made a decision as to what you might want to get.

Clear skies

James

Archived