Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone ever been bitten by out whilst stargazing ?

Stargazing_Cliff

Has anyone ever been bitten by out whilst stargazing ?

I was stargazing couple days ago and think somet biten me

since i sat on rabbits hutch no rabbit inside like probably common uk spider what ever biten me i seem to be healing like.

thought i'd message see if anyone else ever been biten whilst stargazing :) think i get some bug repellant on me next time i stargaze lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been bitten while observing. However i was once bitten by a Horse Fly. That has to be the single most painful/itchy bite i have ever had.

Thankfully i have the wrong type of blood that mosquito's like. They never bite me and if they do i dont feel it.

The only reason for me to dislike summer time is the fact that mozies seem to think my blood is wine that's in short supply, so they must get as much of it as possible.

But to get back to your question Cliff, we live very close to the ore terminal at teesport, and the things I have seen come of them ships made my skin crawl, when we get bit here it could be anything.

Yup, round these parts there's a lot of ponds and small lakes and of course the Humber, I usually spray my hat and fleece with some anti insect repellant which does keep the pesky critters away, its a good thing in one way as it means its hot so summer must be on the way! :)

Horse flys hurt, but i've been bitten by a "may bug" whilst star gazing with binos.

those things are evil... proper evil. also been stung by a UK hornet while gazing. that wasn't pleasant.

lol! just googled "may bug" to find it also known as a "Cockchafer"

Been knobbled a lot during my alternative nocturnal activity (night fishing for specimens) and midge bites can be a real pain. Keep scratching them and they will be there 12 months down the line. Ouch :)

Midges can be a problem here in the mountains in summer- but I'm more likely to be barbequing than observing due to the light nights from May thru September.

In winter frost bite is a posibility though - got close to minus 20 in December......

I was observing up on the Ridgeway in Oxfordshire during last years harvest (dusty views of Jupiter) and heard the bark of a dog that sounded like it meant business off in the distance. It started to get closer and closer until I decided to pack up and get outta Dodge! I've never disassembled that scope that fast before. It was probably a terrier with an attitude problem! :)

Been dr's about them pains have some kind boil reaction somet that must bitten me dr had look and give me some Diethylamine Salicylate local analgestic cream. dunno what bitten me like but feel lot better with that cream on.

need to buy some insect repellant and some powder put around garden.

will have to have look in shops when next in town.

• 1 month later...

I've just been nailed by something. My charts and papers were on gravel and it felt like a wasp sting at first then got what felt like needle pricks/ stings all up my arm.

It had left 2 nettle type bumps on my rist that's now become a rash thats burning/ aching.

I wonder if I should be worried :)

Archived