Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bedazzled newbie

northernnutter

Hi all,

Another newbie here...total novice, but enthralled by the night sky! Spent first night outside with a pair of 50 yr old binoculars once owned by my father -in-law. Now have a crick neck, and possibly a hernia :(, but worth every minute! So many stars....so much to learn. Hope to get lots of advice from you lovely people!

Vicky.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vicky and welcome to the forum.

Given your injuries with just a pair of binoculars - will you be safe with a real telescope?:( We'll need to arrange some paramedics in advance of this momentous event and as a first aider myself, I will certainly be on standby.:):D

Glad you could join us and please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind as there is no such thing as a daft question!

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Hi Vicky

A very warm welcom to the SGL,

I also like Binoculars as well as telescopes

and you stated that you have a pair 50 years old could you tell us the size and make

Many thank

Doug

Essex

Hi Vicky and welcome to the forum.

Given your injuries with just a pair of binoculars - will you be safe with a real telescope?:( We'll need to arrange some paramedics in advance of this momentous event and as a first aider myself, I will certainly be on standby.:):D

James

Being a nurse myself James, I guess I should know better!! 'Your back is your friend!!!...' and all that....:D

Hi Vicky

I also like Binoculars as well as telescopes

and you stated that you have a pair 50 years old could you tell us the size and make

Essex

Hi Doug,

The binoculars I have just have 'GLOBAL MUNCHEN' on them, so I'm guessing they're a German make??

They also say '8x40'....not that this means an awful lot to me!!

But I can see many more stars through them than not, so I guess they'll do me for now...finding my way around, as it were!( Even if I do need a forklift to lift them!!!:()

They also say '8x40'....not that this means an awful lot to me!!

They will magnify things 8 times, and the lens at the front which gathers light is 40 mm in diameter. It's a useful general-purpose size, although with yours being "vintage," they are probably bigger and heavier than the equivalent-size modern ones.

It's worth knowing the numbers, because you can use those to compare what you see in the bins with what other bits of optical kit could show you.

I'm also a newbie. I have been skywatching with a birdwatcher's spotting scope with a 50mm front lens (giving me a very slightly brighter image than you get) and a zoom eyepiece that can magnify from x10 to x35. In a burst of enthusiasm after 3 clear nights following months of cloud, I've just ordered a Startravel 80 refractor. With an 80mm front lens, and (potential) magnification from x16 to x80, that should give me a slightly better view than my birding scope.

Still, at the moment I'm mainly aiming to find my way around the sky - or at least, as much of it as I can see in my built-up, light-polluted location.

Hope we both get clear skies,

Mary

Archived