Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up - ISS fly over UK in 20 mins

brantuk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just caught a glimpse of the iss, was i seeing things or did i see 2 objects flying past on the same path? I was with my excited 7 year old son so didnt get chance to use any optics. It still amazes us both to see her fly over.

Great headsup Brantuk.

Literally saw this post at 7:24, rushed outside to see 2 objects low to the south heading into the murk on the horizon. Presumably the shuttle and ISS are now separated. Woder which was which?

Tried looking at Heavens above site earlier (an hour ago) but was unable to acess the site as the server was busy

Alan

Great sight with Discovery leading the ISS by 7 seconds. The ISS was very orange in colour, it reminded me of how the external fuel tank look when I've seen it fly over next to the shuttle after launch.

Mel

I just happened to notice ISS on the western horizon as my son (also seven, as it happens) and I were looking at some stuff in Stellarium (I was showing him what M81 & M82 look like compared with TLAO), so we rushed outside to see them and caught pretty much the entire pass until they faded into the murk in the south.

Exceptionally cool. My son is seriously impressed. Guess who'll have bragging rights in class tomorrow?

James

AArrggh i missed it myself i got distracted with something else and forgot all about it till it was too late and beautiful clear sky too i am so angry with myself and very disapointed i missed it :)

regards Rob

heavens above was down for me too! glad to be reminded on here, thanks Brant :)

I get a real buzz out of satellites and that is the frost time vie everr seen the shuttle so i am chuffed to bits! good way yo start a 12 hour nightshift..

Awesome.. I took a couple of notes as I looked through my Bino's (Both just fit into the field of vision)

First object (Shuttle?) was bright white and seemed smaller in size

Second seemed slightly larger and with a yellow/gold hue to it (would this be the colour of the solar array on the ISS?)

:):D:D

Happy I Am...

Thanks folks - I just got in - it was a beautiful sight - first time I've seen them both go by together so I guess the shuttle is undocked and soon to land. Can't believe how chuffed I am - been waiting 2yrs for the chance to see them together. I think the shuttle was behind slowing down for re-entry - but correct me if I'm wrong.

Did a bit of shopping at the store on my way back. Too excited to know what to get for tea - ended up with a bag of pistachio nuts, bag of pork scratchings and 4 microwaveable indian samosas lol. :)

Did a bit of shopping at the store on my way back. Too excited to know what to get for tea - ended up with a bag of pistachio nuts, bag of pork scratchings and 4 microwaveable indian samosas lol. :)

Why not microwave them all together until nice and crispy, then throw them around the room before hoovering them up one by one with your mouth in true Shuttle-crew style?

I was also on stellarium planning tonights observing when i was fast sorwarding to see what time saturn was rising when i happened to see the iss pass. It was great timing as i normally miss it and find it on rewinding time! lol. I did think it might be the space shuttle discovery but i doubted myself and wanted to double check, the sons face when i told him it WAS the shuttle was priceless.

been waiting 2yrs for the chance to see them together.

Brantuk, hearing that made me feel really privileged.. I see people posting about seeing the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn and think "Damn, I can't wait to see these things.."

I just realised that seeing the shuttle and the ISS pass over together is actually a really special moment.. :)

Just seen them both and managed to get some photos as well (Bonus!). I even managed to get the wife and kids out to see, what possibly, could be the last time they get to see the Space Shuttle and ISS in orbit together.

Definitely a WOW moment.

Archived