Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All Doom and Gloom from Brian Cox

CGolder

How can a scientific fact be a wonder :)

I accept the fate. These Facts have been known for a long time and been told about many many times, most who understand or care to understand who they are and where they come from would know the facts already.

the best example i have seen of time and lifespan was made using steps with each step being the mutiplier of the one before, i am sure it was made about 30 years ago.

Those who don't already have an interest I think are very likely to be put off by this episode being the first in the series, i am hopeful of the next one

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got really bored half way through to the degree that I was considering switching it off.

The only interesting thing was on the GRB 090423 - ...and ended so soon.

I hoped for more stuff from out there as opposed to the 'all's gonna end' story that I've heard soooooooooo many times.

Was this the opening episode though? May pick up...

I thought it was good.

Yeh it dragged in parts but it was the first episode on the wonders of the universe...

I guess they wanted to give the context for later programmes. At the end of the day most people don't get the scale of time or size that the universe exists within.

The fundamental part of the programme, i.e. that life can only exist for such a short percentage of the lifetime of the universe and that the greaest wonder is to be alive now with the understanding that we have.

If it spreads the word that must be a good thing and I have no doubt that later weeks wil go into more detail.

Well i'm quite surprised how many people didn't enjoy that! An hour of awesome effects and info about one of my favourite subjects, Brian did a great job. I'll be watching next week :)

All the best

Jamie

I enjoyed it, yeah there is a fair bit of staring into the middle distance but I find those pauses useful for reflecting on what I've just heard or seen.

The shear size of the universe and the passage of time can be depressing as it makes us realise how small we are and how short life is. Some people invent gods to get them over that others will maybe just value what they have a little more.

My problem with it was that there are so many wonders out there beyond the limits of the solar system, that to spend a whole episode (a quarter of the series) explaining the inevitability of heat death, just to illustrate one wonder (the fortunate moment in the universe's evolution we find ourselves in) seems a little bit of a waste.

After all, if it taught us anything, it is that time is precious :)

I enjoyed it even if it was all doom & gloom and a little slow! That Ray Mears has done the Ivory Coast survival story before for a whole hour - catch repeats on Dave :) - maybe he's an advisor for locations??

..Oh and maybe the programme should have had a voice over by that Red Dwarf computer, you know, the one thats always depressed!

I enjoyed the show, but having read the Wonders of the Universe book beforehand I was quite surprised to see that the first episode shown is actually the last chapter in the book... I have a feeling someone at the BBC decided the get the doom and gloom episode out of the way first instead of leaving it until last.

I was going to say the same thing Pete as I was puzzled too. I too have the book and noticed that Destiny was chapter 4.Also in this months S@N magazine "Time" ("Destiny" as they now have it) was listed as being 4 of 4. Had to double check in the Radio Times to see that someone had not messed up!

Chaos from order? :)

To me the "end of it all" would seem a much better choice for Episode 4 than 1. Even if it would have meant leaving it on a bit of a "downer". :p

Anyway, don't worry, we sure as hell won't be here.

i thought it also strange that the big bang wasn't mentioned or the theory of space time, he mentioned observable universe but didn't explain what that was. perhaps this was made for the end but was shown first for some reason

I Thought it was OK, the arrow of time is not exactly interesting subject unless you are a cosmologist, he did quite well explaining it in layman's terms all things considered, give it a chance there are 3 episodes to go before we can really judge the overall content of this series.

Add another to the 'really enjoyed it' crew. In a world of Take Me Out, X factor and Dancing on Ice there's a four page thread on this being rubbish? Really? :)

To a certain degree you are right, but as you mentioned it is Take Me Out, X factor and Dancing on Ice that make this episode good... IMHO this show should just be good itself - at least this is what was expected from it by many.

Still hope the following episodes will be interesting.

I'm not too worried, as the theories keep changing, thats progress.

In a few hundred years people will look back and laugh at some of the conclusions made today.

In 100 years they will be teaching primary school kids reading, writing and quantum mechanics :).

Surely there were lots of "Wonders" in there?

The sheer mind boggling numbers for a start! Trying to get my head round the "wonder" of those is enough to keep me gripped and Prof. Cox helps me to understand just a little bit of the physics I struggled with at school.

My goodness that was taught in such a boring way that I soon lost interest and then could not catch up properly. I wish my teachers had been as interesting!

Archived