Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

CGolder

All Doom and Gloom from Brian Cox

Yeah a bit of a let down. Nothing new enough to be interesting to anyone but newbies.

I loved it. The music, the shooting locations were awesome. Some of the shots were breathtaking.

I *loved* it. It may have been "depressing" it was scientific fact.

Mixed into an adventure holiday travelogue...?

I liked it! Obviously for you lot the glass is 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% empty (i know the percentage was less but i'll be bug... If im putting all the numbers in..)

Yeah a bit of a let down. Nothing new enough to be interesting to anyone but newbies.

No, I didn't learn anything "new". However, the way in which Brian presented the information and expressed his own emotional responses to these scientific truths was fascinating.

*Loved it*

Mixed into an adventure holiday travelogue...?

Yup, I call it "Where in the World is Brian Cox?". Anyway, I like physics, I like travel and I like Brian Cox so it is all good!

Edited by D:Ream

Oh well, never mind. The sky is clear and after falling asleep during the show, I'm off to look at some real Wonders of the Universe.

Sorry Prof but too much sand! At least S&N is on soon.

Well that's a turnaround. Only last week, most were singing B.C's praises, and in no time flat, he's a villain. What a fickle lot you are. Will he be be Mr Popular again next week perhaps ?

:).

Besides, there will be infinitely more interesting developments in the Universe before the Arrow of Time reduces everything to a vast ocean of radiation. I enjoyed the prog. but I ony have a miniscule knowledge of physics, so it couldn't have bored me.

Ron.

Edited by barkis

I can think of something more positive, what about the recent Kepler revelations ie. 1200 candidate planets located.

yeah, i wasn't that impressed. don't think it's necessarily cox's fault though, i suspect it kind of falls between two stools - he probably wanted to make it more dorky and appeal to people with a deeper interest, but i don't suppose they'd let him, so you end up with a program that doesn't really appeal to anyone. i thought what wonders of the solar system did so well was specific information about particular things (like io, enceladus (sp?), retrograde motion for those of us who had tried to explain it to people before and not been able to come up with as good an explanation as he did). but this was just too vague and wishy washy.

that said, i haven't looked at what else they're covering in the series. maybe it'll be amazing.

Being new to astronomy I thought it would be right up my street and I would learn something,

Yes I've learned the arrow of time goes one way, and that's an hour of my life that I will never get back :)

or maybe it's a conspiracy between the beeb and various uk telescope dealers to put people off astronomy and get some breathing space after stargazing live.

I think Brian got it the wrong way round, creation comes first... destruction comes last :)

Isnt there an Irish proverb that says...

When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets...

Was it "wishy washy" or too "depressing"? Surely it can't be both.

Why are you all so depressed by being faced with the inevitable fate of the universe? Heads in the sand comes to mind (I wonder why).

i missed it, but sounds like no big deal, maybe next episode will be worth watching

Well that's a turnaround. Only last week, most were singing B.C's praises, and in no time flat, he's a villain. What a fickle lot you are. Will he be be Mr Popular again next week perhaps ?

:).

haha i have no problem with BC, just wasn't a fan of the doom and gloom to that extent and having seen these programs before in what a feel are better formats on Discovery I think i was hoping for something lighter and more exciting for Joe public.

as for the love hate thing :p surely as a celebrity Brian should be expecting this type of thing, he just has the major benefit of no-one cares what atoms his clothes are made of.

Edited by CGolder

Was'nt what i was expecting. Seemed to go on a bit about the whole scale of time thing, nailed it ! 4 hrs too long or so it seemed. Im sure ive seen that mining town on box a few months back, deja vu. Anyway bring on the next one !im going to watch outcasts, cheer myself up. Hopefully.

Are we being to critical ? After all it was the first episode ?

Dear Brian,

Next time in your TV show, please only look at pretty nice things and don't draw attention to the scientific facts about the end of our universe.

Thanks

Stargazers Lounge :)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

At one point I was expecting Fraser from Dad's Army to walk up behind him and say "we're doooooooooooooomed !!"

Only the first show so I'll give the series a chance.

I did laugh at the bucket and spade, with the budget spent so far, I would have expected a Caterpillar to roll up on set.

Errmmm... it's his second series surely? I just reckon he coulda fleshed it out with a bit more detail and taken less time over the arrow of time. I kept hoping he'd say something facinating or explain some difficult concept in an easy way that joe public would understand - like he did in Wonders Of the Solar System.

Kept hoping he'd mention Einstien/relativity or measuring time with pulsars etc

Edited by brantuk