Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

All Doom and Gloom from Brian Cox

CGolder

is it me.. or is anyone else a bit disappointed with the same story of doom and gloom of the show?

Perhaps i was expecting something else with the amazing things out there rather than the death of all things and time.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very disappointed with this. Having done a physics degree I realise its not aimed at me but I still expected some more spacey things. No need for the entropy bit, too much time spent looking at him gazing into the distance, too much time playing with sand. For all the good for he did on stargazing live I feel anyone who may have had an interest in astronomy and astrophysics but no background experience would have found this extremely dull and equally disappointing.

I agree, disappointing, wish he would stop going on a jolly around the world and concentrate on whats out in the universe.

Never mind the end of it all, we won't be around, I would like to here more about the amazing things out there now.

For all the good for he did on stargazing live I feel anyone who may have had an interest in astronomy and astrophysics but no background experience would have found this extremely dull and equally disappointing.

I cant quite work out who the target audience is for this show.. its either for astro fans to tell us the same story or for non astro to make them take a trip to the bath with a toaster. Not that astro people might not consider that after seeing the show

I expect the other episodes will be better, as they'll not be concentrating on time. Unfortunately, as the show made very clear, the passage of time leads to one inevitable, and rather gloomy, conclusion. :)

Mind you, they could have looked at some of the more interesting aspects of time (e.g. relativity).

Umm, was the point of telling the whole entropy story not to give you some quantification of his wonder for this episode?

His wonder was that brief moment (One billion, billion ........ billon of a percent) that the stars actually exist in the life of the universe?

I enjoyed the show, but having read the Wonders of the Universe book beforehand I was quite surprised to see that the first episode shown is actually the last chapter in the book... I have a feeling someone at the BBC decided the get the doom and gloom episode out of the way first instead of leaving it until last.

Archived