Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

CGolder

All Doom and Gloom from Brian Cox

is it me.. or is anyone else a bit disappointed with the same story of doom and gloom of the show?

Perhaps i was expecting something else with the amazing things out there rather than the death of all things and time.

Yeah - he's doing my head in right now - so I came back on here lol :)

God that was heavy going ......

i mean the story has been told so many times before... kinda sick of hearing it

I was very disappointed with this. Having done a physics degree I realise its not aimed at me but I still expected some more spacey things. No need for the entropy bit, too much time spent looking at him gazing into the distance, too much time playing with sand. For all the good for he did on stargazing live I feel anyone who may have had an interest in astronomy and astrophysics but no background experience would have found this extremely dull and equally disappointing.

Ha ha, I thought it was a little slow too. Though I missed the interesting few minutes about how we get from now to a universe of photons. I'll check out that bit on iplayer.

I agree, disappointing, wish he would stop going on a jolly around the world and concentrate on whats out in the universe.

Never mind the end of it all, we won't be around, I would like to here more about the amazing things out there now.

Edited by tibbs1972

It just ends - everything - that's all you need to know Luke lol :)

For all the good for he did on stargazing live I feel anyone who may have had an interest in astronomy and astrophysics but no background experience would have found this extremely dull and equally disappointing.

I cant quite work out who the target audience is for this show.. its either for astro fans to tell us the same story or for non astro to make them take a trip to the bath with a toaster. Not that astro people might not consider that after seeing the show

well I thought it was x100 times better than all that other muck they put on the TV :)

I expect the other episodes will be better, as they'll not be concentrating on time. Unfortunately, as the show made very clear, the passage of time leads to one inevitable, and rather gloomy, conclusion. :)

Mind you, they could have looked at some of the more interesting aspects of time (e.g. relativity).

Edited by ixalon

I loved it - the end with the image from Voyager 1 will really have been a new perspective for many people who haven't seen the image before.

I dont think the Beeb could either .. well done to Prof BC and the crew for getting another world tour out of the license payer...

At least I wont have to waste anymore money on the book or Bluray box set...

National Geographic & Discovery Science run much more informative shows.

Edited by tibbs1972

Umm, was the point of telling the whole entropy story not to give you some quantification of his wonder for this episode?

His wonder was that brief moment (One billion, billion ........ billon of a percent) that the stars actually exist in the life of the universe?

I enjoyed the show, but having read the Wonders of the Universe book beforehand I was quite surprised to see that the first episode shown is actually the last chapter in the book... I have a feeling someone at the BBC decided the get the doom and gloom episode out of the way first instead of leaving it until last.

Wife wanted to watch dancing on ice so I have recorded this.... I gather I might as well delete it without watching it :)

If anyone is interested Brian just tweeted this

"I promise that next week #wonders will be happier ! The creation of the elements"

At least Sir Patrick Moore is more positive about the cosmos.

Let's hope we don't get the doom and gloom again later on.

Give it time,I enjoyed it ok may be same storey line but until something amazing happens out their in the universe then can't be much different,we will still learn from these shows,what's wrong with every1.