Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

All Doom and Gloom from Brian Cox

CGolder

I also really enjoyed it. I thought the 'wonder' from this episode was the grasping of the concept of how huge a span of time the universe is supposed to exist for, and how small a fraction time human existance is / will be in that.

I've heard these explanations before, but I like this style of presentation and relating it to everyday stuff. Certainly makes me look up and wonder...:)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier in this thread, I enjoyed watching the programme.

I certainly didn't mind the simple analogies as my knowledge of physics is sadly lacking. I'm sure the use of the simple demonstrations, were deliberately included for the benefit of those who would find them easier to understand. Let's face it, the programme had to be directed at all levels of knowledge of physics, and not just those who are already proficient in the subject.

I enjoyed the travelogue too. I'm never going to visit Namibia, or the Skeleton Coast, but I know a little more about them now. Not much, but a little.

Brian Cox may not be the Ideal presenter, but he has proved popular amongst the masses, and by doing so, has generated enough interest in Physics and Astronomy to make the subjects attractive enough to at least make youngsters more aware. That has to be a big positive.

Ron.

"Instead of going overboard with bad (misleading & confusing) analogies"

I do agree here. The analogies were deffo not as good as they could've been. Kaku or Khalili would've been great, but I do like BC's style and enthusiasm. It's just the lack of even superficial depth left me wanting - it was pitched at too high a level and I think the public capacity for understanding was a bit under estimated. Even for those who regularly watch East Enders and All Sorts of Drivel On Ice.

He could've made half a dozen really good points over the course of an hour - instead there were barely one or two. I shall watch the next one in the hope there's a bit less of the travelogue and pretty pictures, and and just a little bit more substance about it all. :)

I didn't think it was all that bad, and my mum who watched it with me agrees. I do think that it was a bit over the heads of a lot of the people it was initially aimed at and could have done with toning down and starting with the basics. I did learn a few things that I hadn't known of before - entropy for instance, never heard it mentioned before and I kind of have a basic grasp at what it means :)

I probably should pay more attention to this now so I can absorb a bit of knowledge before going to study astrophysics at uni in a few years time.

I thought the 'wonder' was the fact that life exists for such a short time within the lifespan of the universe. Everything else has been told before but I'd never considered the brief window of time that life has to get established before it's gone.

Secondly it's on BBC2 so it's worth considering that it's aimed at a wide audience. It was therefore presented in an entertaining way, not too fact heavy. Quite enjoyable really. With that in mind I would say I actually like the fact that Brian Cox comes across as human. It's not all just facts and figures. When he thinks something is awesome his enthusiasm comes across really well.

Was off to watch Sky At Night on iplayer but it's not there so I'll have to wait until it's on again tomorrow evening... :)

not read the whole thread but I thought it was superb. it had a dreamy quality (and NO I don't mean Prof Cox) and was very poetic. His enthusiasm and obvious awe came across well. The show ended with a slight sensation of grief strangely for the end of the Universe. I know we've heard a lot of it before but not quite in this way.

my mate at work is not an astronomer and loved every minute.

fair enough it's not that racy but I thought it was very original in parts and really enjoyed it.

It's been ideal for me :) after today's Maths test

A little slow to put the message across - Time, entropy, how the Universe will end, et all - but the show was filled with stunning images :p that I wish I had a large screen TV. A piece of photographic art on TV, I should say. Very well done.

No, I don't think that this episode was about all doom & gloom, rather it appears to me that Dr Cox is laying the foundations for the next episode which, hopefully, will be a bit more dynamic, not as slow.

my two pennies worth...

he does a lot of flying about doesn't he! even more then in wonders of the solar system! it felt very slow to me, although i found the subject matter to be of great interest and his explanations insightful... it just all dragged on a bit too long, i started reading my MCN (motorcycle news) halfway through still listening to it and glancing over occasionally at the pretty views of sand and ice etc... didnt feel that exciting as an episode. did love the bit on entropy and his explanation (sand castle lol he has a knack for simplification) hope it all speeds up a bit and we actually get to look at some interesting bits of the sky i am sure some of us will have seen before but perhaps in great detail, with unknown facts abound. he is great at getting people excited and enthralled about science, mainly because he is. in this first episode i just didnt really feel that bothered about what he was saying.

i shall definitely be sticking with the series as i love the guy and his work, i am a physics nut, just dont like the maths bit lol. i was expecting at least a more in depth look at relativity and time changes with speed and gravity... hey ho cant win them all, looking at a load of derelict buildings for 10 mins was much more interesting any way......... :p didnt have to fly all the way out there Brian! just come to the rougher corners of one of the northern mill towns.... :)

rant over, sorry for that lol.

I didn't find it depressing.

When he highlighted the tiny time window in which life could appear within the lifetime of the universe, I felt very lucky to be alive at all (and conscious of it as well - double-lucky!) :)

And as for entropy...well, he could have illustrated it with some time-lapse photography of my bedroom floor...but the glacier was probably nicer to look at. And I liked listening to the creaking sounds of the ice moving. Arrrrrrurrrrrarrrrrrrurrrrrrrgggggg-plop!

Yes, it's science, but it's also entertainment too. :p

It made a nice change to have something like this on tv rather than the normal soaps and tv programmes with Jordan in that we seem to have constantly thrown at us!

I've only seen half the show as I wanted my kids to watch it, and it was getting late....so got up to the entropy bit - sandcastle vs. sandhill.

Does that mean I've seen the 'doom' bit and will watch the 'gloom' bit next. lol.

Too much Doom and Gloom on the forum more likel, I think we have had too much astro goings on with the programms the beeb have shown recently, have we all had too much cake now? I would never knock it for the content or what BC was wearing the fact we the licence fee payers should be upset is ridiculous, why moan about that? you can't do anything about it, if it were up to me I would stop them spending anything on the trash they put on most of the week, that goes for virtually all channels. I would look at it like this, its still so much better than almost anything else that's on the box, I liked it and am looking forward to the next one, the music was cool, some of the HD content was stunning and I for one was happy to see yet another astronomy related programme on the tv. :p

I still have room for more cake! :)

Well I liked it. Exploration of fact rather than wizzy graphics. Like watching an episode of horizon, on a subject of interest.

I thought the discussion on entropy and looking at how the stars will eventually die, were really interesting. Never seen the voyager photos either, so that was worth it alone.

At least the show didn't patronize me. Treated me like an adult, rather than continually summarising every 2 minutes. Good show.

From what I've read on here what most people wanted was someone sat on the sofa staring at the camera talking about Degree/PHD level Astrophysics for an hour. That sounds like fun! And such a sure way to get new people into the subject matter!

I give up... it was really good.

I have never seen a programme where the presenter managed to get the explanation of the Science across in such a way that the public could understand it. Also, I was glad to see that Brian Cox did not have to repeat him self over and over and over again, that was refreshing.

And it was so cool that he understood that I needed him to go all over the world to make a simple point that I would have been left flailing to grasp if he had not been in South America or Africa.

And I was so pleased he only used the word Phenomenal no more than 20 times, any more would have been overkill.

I give up... it was really good.

I have never seen a programme where the presenter managed to get the explanation of the Science across in such a way that the public could understand it. Also, I was glad to see that Brian Cox did not have to repeat him self over and over and over again, that was refreshing.

And it was so cool that he understood that I needed him to go all over the world to make a simple point that I would have been left flailing to grasp if he had not been in South America or Africa.

And I was so pleased he only used the word Phenomenal no more than 20 times, any more would have been overkill.

HehHehHeh!! You forgot to add the Sarcasm Smiley :).

Its the travelling around the world part of the series that keeps viewers tuned in. There has to be an element of entertainment as well as education. It stops people changing channel. Us astro types probably wouldnt mind him explaining rust at a local scrapyard or in his shed... but some might loose interest very quickly. Remember the Blue planet series? Absolutely awesome... this was mainly due to the incredible locations they travelled to and the pretty camera effects used. This is no different.

Anyhow.. lets get back to talking about what we saw last night in our backyard, rather than on the box :)

Matt

Archived