Hi from up t'north (Scarborough)

RumplySimon

Hi all, joined the forum so I can pick up some tips, as my father bought my son (9) a Celestron Astromaster70 for xmas, so far we've been looking at the moon and some of the brighter stars... we were gobsmacked..... (thats the polite term) when we found Saturn, all these years I thought that bright point above my house was a star. we could just make out its rings too.

(appreciate that is probably really lame to you all on here... but I felt really humbled when I found out what it is)

This has spurred me into wanting to know more about whats up there and so I can teach my son.

I've been wanting a new camera for a while, now I have decided to get a DSLR so i can use it on the telescope to hopefully get a few nice shots of the moon..

Are there any Scarborians on here? if so can you recommend other places than Olivers Mount, as that's where we have been going to view the stars.

Thanks all

Simon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum Simon.

My wife hails from Scarborough so I am constantly reminded it is the centre of the universe.

Hope the skies are better for you up there than down here in the West Country.

Geoff

"centre of the universe" Not sure about that, is more armpit of the Yorkshire Coast.

:rolleyes:

Hi Simon....a fellow Scarborough resident. Have you checked out the local astronomical society (Scarborough & ryedale astronomical society)? I know someone mentioned it in a previous post. We have public observing nights in Dalby forest at the visitor centre at our 2 domes on the 1st friday of the month, through to April from September over the autumn/winter months.

As for local observing, we tend to find ourselves on top of the wolds between Staxton and Driffield or inland to the west in the villages around the pickering road like Sawdon.

Andy

Hi Simon....a fellow Scarborough resident. Have you checked out the local astronomical society (Scarborough & ryedale astronomical society)? I know someone mentioned it in a previous post. We have public observing nights in Dalby forest at the visitor centre at our 2 domes on the 1st friday of the month, through to April from September over the autumn/winter months.

As for local observing, we tend to find ourselves on top of the wolds between Staxton and Driffield or inland to the west in the villages around the pickering road like Sawdon.

Andy

Hi Andy, I do know about the Astronomical Society, I have been meaning to go, but the nights have fallen at times when my son is at Cubs so we haven't made it.

I see the next meeting is March 4th, I will try to make it to this one.

That's the main reason I've joined this forum as I'm pretty much going to have to figure things out for myself.

This forum seems vast, and there will be the answers I need in here somewhere. I haven't looked around it fully yet.

Oh... after some careful consideration and reading a view posts on here, I'm going to buy a webcam to take pictures with the telescope, it will be the better option financially and limitedknowledge...ially. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of positive posts about a Philips 880 something, and a cracking link to someone on ebay selling an all in one solution.

Archived