NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What Better Place to Start!

MaxLux

Evenin' All,

Hello everyone! After much deliberation and frankly being blown away by the sheer number of scope options, I finally bit the bullet last night and ordered my first scope. A Skywatcher ST102 f5 Refractor. Having spent the past 26 years peering through SLR/DSLR cameras and occasionally earning money doing it, I thought I had better stick to something I have a vague idea about. So to me at the moment this is just going to be a big lens :p. The great thing is, this has only cost me the equivalent of a very average camera lens :). Once I have aquired a great deal more knowledge of this hobby, I can then make a very informed decision on what equipment I should be upgrading to.

I look forward to gleaning loads of information from the countless knowledgable folk on these forums :glasses1:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Maxlux and welcome to SGL :glasses1:

I see you're from the Nottingham area. In addition to the forum we have a Social Group in your area (East Mids Stargazers). Please feel free to pop over and join in the threads and see what we're all about. Click the link in my signature or choose "Community" at top of any page and click "Social Groups" from the pulldown.

Cheers :)

Good one to start with, easy to use and next to nothing to go wrong.

Is it the goto model?

Have you tried aligning it if it is, or at least read tyhe instructions 3 or 4 times?

Get the finder set up and probably best if the erecting unit is avoided. The scope was probably not designed with it in mind. Just not sure if it can be avoided.

For the record the 10mm eyepice that they supply is generally not that good, and being f/5 it will need better eyepieces to get magnifications once you start looking at magnifications above 100x. However as you will have to buy additional eyepiece to get that just be aware of it.

Thanks Brantuk, I will certainly do that! I have already figured from other pursuits that a lot of pain can be spared with anything new by meeting up with like minded souls who have already aquired years of experience!

Hi Capricorn,

It is indeed the GoTo model, I have so much to learn and I figured I could use all the help I can get! I'm not expecting great things from the supplied EPs, it is just something to get me going. As a speccy wearer, I'm going to have to research some good eye relief EPs!

Archived