Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark skies as selling point?

laser_jock99

First time I've seen this kind of thing in an Estate Agents advert

"Because of the relative lack of development and the absence of background noise and light pollution, this part of the UK is regarded as one of its most tranquil areas. Without light pollution, anyone interested in star gazing is afforded a spectacular view on clear nights."

http://www.dezrez.com/DRApp/Search.ASP?WCI=Particular&WCE=001111343

Scroll down to near the bottom for the 'astronomy' bit!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iv stayed in a cottage very similar to that in dinys powis near newtown (please ignore my spelling :) ) it also had the water feeding and the electricty (being fed from the stream) fantastic star gazing and really quiet, if i had tha money id move there like a shot! just imagine no street lights car lights noise, just the dark black twinkling stars, and a nice flask of bovil mmmmmmm

If only an astronomer did buy it and turn some of the 45 acres into an astronomy centre.

[that could be thought of as a hint to anyone with half a million lying around doing nothing:D]

12,000 members, that's only £35 each :)

Hmmm. A small house in the middle of nowhere without mains water or mains electricity, no terrestrial television and a phone line you can probably only just get ADSL over...

I think they might have been desperately looking for positive selling points :)

The price of the property isn't really the issue (though it seems very high, especially in the current market). It's the cost of just living there, especially if you want to live any kind of "normal" life. You'd probably get through huge amounts of fuel for vehicles, perhaps between £1500 and £2000 worth of heating oil every year and (guessing) perhaps several hundred quid's worth of diesel every month for the generator. I think you'd really have to want to retire from modern society and keep sheep for a living or something.

A cynic might suggest that the agents have put it up at an inflated price to see if there are any takers with deep pockets who think they can make a go of it, but that it'll come down considerably in price if there aren't.

Not that I have any problem with living out in the middle of nowhere. I'm getting that way myself. But it's very easy to romanticise these things.

James

Not that I have any problem with living out in the middle of nowhere. I'm getting that way myself. But it's very easy to romanticise these things.

James

I totally concur with your post - life is more "economical" when living near a community with mains sewer and stable electricity grids. It is very easy to fall into the "escape to the country" ideallism, not realising the full extent of country living.

Still, the place is only 25 minutes to Machynlleth for those essential supplies...

I for one have dreamt of this lifestyle for many, many years, longing to live "off the grid", living a self-sustaining lifestle, but have never had the opportunity to do so.

Sigh, one day.

I think you'd really have to want to retire from modern society and keep sheep for a living or something.

James

Well- it is advertised as farmstead, though 45 acres is not big enough to make a living from sheep these days.

If you were intersted in a business venture this property nearby is also for sale

EXCEPTIONAL FREEHOLD LICENSED GUEST HOUSE | Powys | Guest Houses for Sale UK

Possibly an even darker site than the farm. It is the isolated Star Inn at Dylife. The owners will take a lower offer than the advertised price.

It quite appeals to me to be living "off the grid" in the metaphorical sense, but in the literal sense these days you either have to be prepared to live without (m)any modern conveniences or pay a premium that's rapidly increasing and unfortunately in the latter case the places you might be able to do so are places that most people would be unlikely to find the sort of work that would support it.

In many cases it's only the very well off or the retired who can afford to do it.

I do actually know someone (in my local community) who doesn't have mains electricity or gas. I'm not sure about the water supply. She doesn't own a car, or even a fridge. She does have a phone, but no computer. It's a challenging lifestyle, to say the least.

Not that I want to put you off :) Hopefully one day you will achieve your dream.

James

Well- it is advertised as farmstead, though 45 acres is not big enough to make a living from sheep these days.

If you were intersted in a business venture this property nearby is also for sale

EXCEPTIONAL FREEHOLD LICENSED GUEST HOUSE | Powys | Guest Houses for Sale UK

Possibly an even darker site than the farm. It is the isolated Star Inn at Dylife. The owners will take a lower offer than the advertised price.

Amazingly, it's easier to make a living out of sheep now than it used to be. The market price of lamb has well over doubled in the last two years to the best of my knowledge. The first year we kept sheep the chap we got them from was practically giving them away (they were orphans or triplet lambs that the mother couldn't feed) whereas now we're paying a fair amount per animal. It's still a tough job though, and not one I'd want to have to earn a living wage from.

The inn does quite appeal, but I can't imagine the rest of the family wanting to move there somehow. I have a bit of a romantic attachment to Wales though, having grown up in the valleys.

James

Hmmm. A small house in the middle of nowhere without mains water or mains electricity, no terrestrial television and a phone line you can probably only just get ADSL over...

I think they might have been desperately looking for positive selling points :)

Yes, it does sound like someone's trying it on - price wise, or they're very greedy.

The house is less than 1000 sq ft, judging by the plans - so basically an average sized 3-bed semi. It doesn't say if there's a mobiie phone signal so we can safely assume that everything which isn't mentioned isn't available.

Having spent a bit of time (not long, but longer than I'd care to repeat) living off a genny, our electricity cost about £1 per kW*Hr. I wouldn't put too much hope in getting any significant wind or hydro power, despite what the estate agent says.

While it may be miles from any LP, you still can't observe when it's cloudy and there's no reason to think you'd get more clear nights there, than anywhere else in britain.

All in all, if you want no LP, clear skies and almost no services you can get a place in Spain, Portugal or anywhere east of Germany for less money than this - and probably better weather, too ;)

It quite appeals to me to be living "off the grid" in the metaphorical sense, but in the literal sense these days you either have to be prepared to live without (m)any modern conveniences or pay a premium that's rapidly increasing and unfortunately in the latter case the places you might be able to do so are places that most people would be unlikely to find the sort of work that would support it.

In many cases it's only the very well off or the retired who can afford to do it.

I do actually know someone (in my local community) who doesn't have mains electricity or gas. I'm not sure about the water supply. She doesn't own a car, or even a fridge. She does have a phone, but no computer. It's a challenging lifestyle, to say the least.

Not that I want to put you off :) Hopefully one day you will achieve your dream.

James

I know the score - I was partway there myself at one time of my life, years ago, when I didn't have to engage in the rat race. Nowadays you do need an income of some sorts to live an off grid life. And that income requires certain elements of modernity. Vicious circle.

Archived