help me please

midnite oil

hi guys & dolls:) im from cape town south africa and new ve jus joined im bout to purchace a sky-watcher 8" (200mm)dobsonian telescope can anybody advice me (in plain simple english no lingo) more both this scope as im a newbie and if its a good choice for 1st telescope i`ll appreciate any info and how easy to set up thanx a million i ve been searching the net since 5am this morning and really frustrate me not finding the real info and not just specs.

midnite oil:icon_salut:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you had a look at it on FLO?

i assume you mean this one? Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Im not a Dob user and im a newb myself but i understand specs so if you need any of them explaining just ask and ill do my best :(

I can tell you this though, this is a damn sight better than my scope, the things that you will see with this will blow you away!

Welcome Midnite, don't worry the SW 8" is an excellent starting scope. Dobsonian mounts can be plonked anywhere on flat ground or grass, you must let the scope cool for an hour to give sharp focus. You align the viewfinder with a widefield eyepiece using a star. Next you will need to collimate which just means aligning the mirrors which will also help give the sharpest stars and detail. You can collimate by eye or use a laser.

Collimation

Clear skies and happy viewing.

Regards, John.

hi midnite oil and thats a good choice deep space and planets will be ok you will have to tinker with the mirrors at some point and pics not that easy with it but some short vids can be done and with the help of a few bits of sofware should not be a prob but at some point ya will have to deal with Collimation but do not let this put you off its all down to what ya want to do

Hi and welcome. I have been here close on a month and have found SL excellent. One piece of advice I had was get "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards. You can get it at FLO. Tho' my prime interest was imaging to which this book is aimed at, it contains a wealth of info that should help anyone like you and I.

Good luck in your quest - it took me six weeks to make a decision.

ye olde git

Archived