Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simeis 147, or why we need Ha...

ollypenrice

Hi all, the fascinating picture below depicts Simeis 147 in RGB only. You may find it less than exciting...

Below it, the Ha layer is added. I have not squeezed all the Ha detail into the HaRGB but have left the nebula looking elusive, which it ruddy well is!!!

What a buzz it must have been to see this on the photographic discovery plate in 1952. Doing this has been exciting even when I knew it was there.

Olly

PS no flats in the RGB image. The Canon EF200L is a lens in a million, say I.

1182345724_Lcqv5-X2.jpg

1182345194_8j8Pv-X2.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So does that mean if I pointed a unmodded dslr in the said direction then all I'd get would be your first image Olly?

That would be my fear. Our Atik 4000 one shot colour has decent Ha response though just maybe a modded DSLR might beat it because they do seem to give ultra red images straight from the camera. However, I wouldn't hold you breath. I accidentally took a fifteen minute sub to start the night off and it showed... precisely nothing! The only way I could tell I was in the right place was by dropping a test image onto the Ha pic in Registar. Even the starfield looked different in Ha, as it often does.

And this was at f3.5. Since I have never had a cleaner starfield in an image I am going to drop the lens down to f3.2 and also try wide open.

Olly

Are you going to try it in full NB? the Hubble pic looks quite interesting.

I followed that link but couldn't get to the bottom of the filters used. Their green was synthesized. Since in my image the nebula is effectively monochromatic it does look rather flat. Maybe next year I can give O111 or S11 a try but I have done a few marathons this winter and am going for something a bit more mainstream. This is getting past the meridian at darkness now. I'd love to do a high res 4 panel one but it would need at least 40 hours of Ha in the Baby Q unless Santa sends me an 11 meg chip.

I did this presentation for fun;

1182344610_T6hNK-XL.jpg

Olly

40hours.... Pity the sun wrecks half of the available imaging time we have. Wonder if other filters can show us some other rare things? Guess Kiki is for nebulae... Typically small.... possibly sii or hbeta would be a better bet to do wide field images with?!

PEterW

I showed your rgb picture to me lady and although impressed, she was asking what she was looking for in the image, other than just at pretty looking stars. So i scrolled down to show her with added ha data.....her eye's lit up.

She was seriously impressed and it think this image goes a long way to show just what is out there that isn't visible, even with standard rgb astrophotography. Thus instilling that "ahh so that's why you need those bits of new gear" haha. So, looks like i need a new 2" ha filter :) lmfao.

Cracking image mate :( Especially the side by side.

Sorry about the turtle haha. Couldn't resist.

I showed your rgb picture to me lady and although impressed, she was asking what she was looking for in the image, other than just at pretty looking stars. So i scrolled down to show her with added ha data.....her eye's lit up.

She was seriously impressed and it think this image goes a long way to show just what is out there that isn't visible, even with standard rgb astrophotography. Thus instilling that "ahh so that's why you need those bits of new gear" haha. So, looks like i need a new 2" ha filter :) lmfao.

Cracking image mate :( Especially the side by side.

Sorry about the turtle haha. Couldn't resist.

If I can help a fellow astronomer get a bit more out of his sponsors then my day has been well spent!! The Turtle is great.

Olly

Archived